Ticks

Bud

Hope this may help someone.

The best tick treatment I have found is a product called 'FRONTLINE', there is another similar style of product called 'ADVANTAGE' I think.

The frontline product is applied to the neck shoulder area of the dog direct to the skin. Only downside is the cost, to offset some of the cost, you can give your dog the exact dosage he (or she) needs by using a syringue and spike the remove the spike and squirt the syringue direct to dog.

To work out exact dosage, weigh dog, then consult packaging to to work out direct dosage. The packaging quotes a to and from size so divide the dose size by the maximum size to get the application rate.
I buy the largest size and this treats 2 terriers and a lurcher, with some left over.

Treatment last for a month, make a note in your calendar when re apllication is due, and also make a note of doasage and weights.

All the best
BUD

www.dordogne-on-line.info

Yes we use frontline for our 3 dogs and although the ticks still go on the dog they are dead when we take them off.

However our 10 year old border collie recently went off his food, never been known before, and slept and was miserable so took him to the vet on a Saturday afternoon and he took some blood tests and told me to take him back on the Monday when the tests results would be back. He had a liver disorder which the vet believes is a tick infection. Antibiotics and pills to promote his appetite seem to have worked he is alike a puppy again now.

So you still have to be cautious.

I would not advise anyone with a beloved pet dog to skimp on the tick treatment, we use Frontline Combo pipettes, last year our pet contracted the tick disease, we had only just moved to 24 & had not been warned to Frontline every month. we were so lucky our vet was able to test the blood immediately, which diagnosed the disease, antibiotics & injections followed, we were fortunate, once the disease takes hold a dog can be dead in 3 days. I use the spray on the paws & under the chin in the summer, as it is also common in this area for dogs to pick up a red spider mite which causes a lot of problems. Our vet also suggested a vaccine which is 70% effective. That will be a yearly thing, I am not skimping on any sort of treatment available after seeing how my pet detiorated so quickly. joan