Passport Application

Guest CFrost

We live in France and would like to take our dog (Coton puppy) with us to England on short visits.  So where do we get his pet passport application papers from?  Local vet, DEFRA or is there a French equivalent?  As much of the hassle seems to be associated with the UK requirements would it be better to use DEFRA – assuming that’s possible of course.

Any advice please?

Presuming your dog has nothing at the moment go to your local vet have him microchipped and then vacinated for rabies after one month blood test by the vet which is sent away to an approved laborotory by the vet if it comes back ok then french vet will issue you with a Pet passport It is exactly the same process as in the UK You will not be allowed to enter uk until 6 months after the blood test and you still need tick and worm treatment between 24/48hrs before time of departure of ferry.

As far as I am aware the French are not issueing the new style pet passports yet but that was a month ago when I tried but should start on 1st October when it becomes a standard document throought the EU.

Some French vets may not be up to speed ask about for one that is I can recommend one if you are in the Charente

One other thing you will need to have your dog given a booster rabies every year to keep the pet passport up to date