Rabies jabs for all animals

Val_2

With all the trouble that dog smuggler has caused down near Bordeaux bringing in a puppy with rabies, people have been very worried about getting their cats and dogs done as France has been rabies-free for some years now and it wasn't necessary unless you were going to stay on camp sites with your animals in other depts. On a visit to our vet this morning I asked her whether we should start the yearly jabs again and her reply was that at present there is no requirement here in the north of France BUT that the minister in charge of health etc would be making a decision any day now whether it will be compulsory for ALL animals to be injected again. Apparently the government do not want to have to start injecting cattle/swine/poultry etc. If I hear any more I will let you know. For anyone south of the Loire I would get your animals vaccinated for safetys sake,some of the animals this puppy came into contact with may have gone elsewhere and transmitted it - who knows!

Hi Val,

Think your information is correct and that it is only a matter of time before all domestic animals have to be rabies-jabbed. I'm not sure if this is true or not but my nearest neighbour (French) told me, today, that the new regulations re. rabies have now been extended to the 3 departments of the Limousin.

Well the old saying "better safe than sorry" springs to mind. Just shows that there are people who couldn't care less about the rules put there to protect us and one still wonders if this could happen with people smuggling unknowingly rabid animals into the UK as I really believe people do take animals back and forth without the authorities knowing it especially on private boats.