Pet passport

Joanne

Spoke to DEFRA yesterday they've said the rules change on October 1st.  As we are hoping to leave on 27th Sept we have the choice of the pet passport or getting the forms for the vet to sign saying the cats are fit to travel.  After 1/10 there will be no choice, passport only but they wont need to be seen by the vet prior to travel and providing they are chipped and have the rabies shot they dont need any other treatments (worming fleas etc).  Just thought I'd mention it.

Hi i to was a little confused, bringing my dog to France permenantly,my vet said defra is the best place to seek advice.

I have been on the site and it tells you the requirements needed, e.g injections ect...it seems as long as you have them micro chipped, injected against rabies annually,it doesn't mention flees and ticks 24/48 hours b4 travel as the leaflet did my vet gave me, as the lady mentioned earlier from oct, you obviously don't need.

Info is on Animal health and welfare under tattooing and microchipping in France and theres some other countries.

thanks Helen

I am taking my dogs back to the UK in 2 weeks time.  They can re-enter under the transitional arrangements as their current UK passports have not expired.  I spoke to my French vet about the new EU Passport for domestic animals only to be told no vets in France have been issued with the guidelines or paperwork yet. How true this is I do not know.  Fortunately, I am still in contact with my old vet in the UK and he has agreed to do the new EU paperwork from the UK end while we are there.  If you can, I would start the process in the UK and get the EU passport thing there.  At least vets in the UK seem to be more up to date on EU rules than here in France! I'd try to get a rabies jab too even if you don't get the blood test until you get to France given all that is going on here at the moment with the rabid puppy in Bordeaux

You don't need flea and tick treatment to enter France only when returning to the UK.

you don't need tick and tapeworm to enter france however it is advisable to ensure your dog is protected with a tick preventative when arriving in france as tisk fever is a serious issue new EU passport doesn't come on line in most of the EU until the 1st of oct o french vets aren't implementing the system yet and can't get a blue passport yet they aren't available.

[quote]you don't need tick and tapeworm to enter france however it is advisable to ensure your dog is protected with a tick preventative when arriving in france as tisk fever is a serious issue new EU passpo...[/quote]

Quite - don't underestimate the tick problem - it's serious especially in SW France.  Neither of my dogs had ever seen a flea never mind a tick. Since I've been here I've discovered one has an allergy to flea saliva which was very nasty and the other, becasue she loves roaming in long grass, gets absolutely COVERED from head to toe with ticks.  I ended up grooming both thoroughly after each time they went out and still they ended up having ticks attach (and they are both short haired).  The treatment you can get (Frontline for exampe) doesn't stop the the ticks attaching but kills them in 24 - 48 hours which is, hopefully, before the ticks have a chance to pass on any nasty diseases.