Passport for a puppy

Diana

I don’t know about pet passports (see post above) but puppies usually have their first vaccinations – distemper, hepatitis & parovirus at 7 to 9 weeks old.   The first leptospirosis and first rabies vaccinations again usually between 11 to 13 weeks of age.  Because of maternal immunity the process cannot be speeded up. 

I hope this helps.

You can only begin the process once the pup has had its Rabies vaccination and they cannot get that until they are 3 months old. (Or is is 6) From then on it takes 7 months. So work on the fact that you pup cannot travel until a year old. Ask your vet at watch age the rabies vacc can be given. Remember to get it microchipped first.

CJ

Hi,

The rabies jab cannot be given to puppies under 6 months old. Time limits vary from vet to vet. For instance our vet in the UK insisted in giving two shots 30 days apart, then there was the blood test 30 days after the last rabies shot, then the month for the paperwork to come through - so in the case of a new born puppy the process could take 10 months!

Some vets don't insist on two jabs and only give one, which could shorten the length of time.

Hi

It seems to vary from vet to vet but I had my lab pup vaccinated against rabies 2 weeks after her second lot of "annual" vaccinations ie at 14 weeks with no side effects and a successful blood test a month later.  If your current vet refuses to vaccinate before 6 months I suggest you ring around.  After all, it does not matter who does the jab as long as the pup gets it and has the antibodies when blood tested.

Nic

• 2 weeks later...
If you are looking to visit the UK with your Pet Passport remeber that the passport is not valid for 6 months following the date that a successful blood test sample was taken from the animal. This is a significant delay.

My pup was vaccinated between 3 and 4 months or age. Often a vet will give two rabies vaccinations (one month appart) as this is meant to significantly improve the cahnce of a successful blood test (though both my dogs "passed" 1st time).

I believe (though am not 100%) that the use of the same Pet Passport is possible between other (non-UK) European countries without the blood test (though do check this if it might affect you as I am not 100%).

In France is seems that a dog can be either tatoo'd or microchipped. However, for UK entry using a Pet Passport a microchip is required so if getting a puppy and you chose it before it is "tagged" you can ask the breeder to have it microchipped rather than tatoo'd. I did this with my 2nd pup and thus have no ambiguity about ID (i.e. vets always record the microchip with paperwork as there is no tatoo for them to read and write down). (When you byuy a pup in France it will already have been ID'd and normally will have had its first set of vaccinations (though not Rabies) - earlier than is normal in the UK.