Moving a cat - again

Annhopkins

Thanks for a;; previous replies, still ver confused as no one answer is the same.  So I contacted DEFRA, they have advised microchip, rabies and all other injections.  I don't wish to be heartless but we are only taking a houshold moggy, he never visits the vets, we keep up his worming & defleaing so why do I need so much to take him to France when I thought all this protection was for animals that are going to be brought back into England.  It seems money for old rope.

Can anyone tell me exactly what documentation they were asked for at the English port on the way out and in France when they arrived?

Thanks

I have three cats, all of whom are, "only household moggies," and I love them to bits. Two are sixteen and one is five. They have always had all necessary treatments, injections etc. kept up to date. All three had "passports" when we moved to France, having been microchipped and vaccinated against rabies. Necessary injections have been kept up to date since we arrived in France.

When we brought the two older cats over we were asked at both Dover and Calais for all the relevant paperwork and they were checked for the microchip numbers. I had to actually do the microchip test both times as neither of the cats would co-operate with the customs officials! When we brought the younger cat over a few months later, the same process was repeated, although he did deign to allow the customs' officials to run the microchip scanner over his neck and shoulders.

Regards,

Sue.

[quote]Thanks for a;; previous replies, still ver confused as no one answer is the same. So I contacted DEFRA, they have advised microchip, rabies and all other injections. I don't wish to be heartless but...[/quote]

To the best of my knowledge you require an export certificate for your 'moggy' plus the usual microchip.  That's what was needed when we brought our two cats over in 2003.   A passport is only necessary if you intend to return to the UK with your 'household moggy'.  Since there has been an outbreak of rabies in Dept 24 maybe the criteria for bringing animals into France has changed.  However I found the relevant department in DEFRA that deals with domestic animals travelling to France to be extremely helpful and informative and any confusion was quickly dispelled.

May I add that whilst this forum is informative if you need to verify important facts surely DEFRA are far better equipped to tell you than us mere mortals. 

The rules have changed from 1st October 2004

All dogs and cats from any EU country going to another EU country must be microchiped or tattooed,have a rabies vacination and a pet passport showing this information.Export certificates for dogs and cats no longer exist.If you wish to travel to the UK with your dog/cat in addition to the above you need to have a blood sample taken a month after the rabies jab which is tested to ensure that the rabies jab has been effective wait 6 months before being allowed to travel to the UK and Tick and worm treatment done 24 to 48 hrs before the time of travel The result of the blood test and the tick and worm treatment are recorded on the pet passport.