Horses in Confolens area- livery yards & trekking

Clareh

We are moving to Confolens at the end of October, in England we do liveries, breaking and schooling.  We were hoping to do this when we move to Confolens in a months time.  Have you got any thoughts on this idea? What are the legal requirements to do this in France?  Are there many horsey people in and around Confolens who would be interested in this kind of thing. We were also thinking of doing some trekking as our farm is around many tracks.

your thoughts would be very appreciated!

Clare

Hi

This is not as easy as one may think,to cut a long story short you need to have correct registrations(nothing like uk)i am in the horse business and you've to have registrations for everything,

you have to have what i can only describe as the equivalent bhs exam system(similar) in france, to be able to take people out for hacking ect.... which bhs isnt recognised in Francs apparently its a mine field (paperwork)i have been told its the same to compete, not like uk where you can just go to a local show and have fun,you go through like competency levels.these are only helpful hints ive been told by other horsey people in France who have been there.If i can find out more i will let you know

You could go private and just target english people with horses wanting your services.

Helen

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Although it does seem to be more bureacratic to run horse businesses in France than England, I don't think I would be put off by this.  If you have any BHS qualifications, these can be transferred to France and will allow you equivalent levels of competence.  Speak to the BHS in England and ask about the International Trainers passports.  The one advantage of horse business in France is that the TVA (VAT) rate is as agriculture, not the horrendous business rates as in England.  Horse trailers require a carte grise, like cars (french equivalent of logbook) but this can be arranged through the normal (long-winded) channels and we've just arranged insurance for the trailer when being pulled with the insurers of our car in one short visit to the agents.  Get a magazine like 'Cheval' to get you in the swing of the French horse world. We're fairly new here ourselves, but do e-mail me if you want any more info.  I can probably find out for you.

Fran