Horse breeder - qualifications needed

Mlonghurst

My wife and I are moving to France permenantly in Jan 2005.  Someone told me that Horsebreeders are classed as Farmers (no problem with that as we have been farming in Wales for the last 4 years).  Does anyone know if horsebreeders in France require any specific qualifications?  I know of no such qualification or course for this type of activity in the UK. 

We breed Clydesdale Horses which are rare breed and almost certainly about to enter the endangered species list in the next couple of years.

Any advice appreciated.

Regards,  Mike L

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Mike - we arrived in France with 2 British Percheron mares, 3 Dales ponies and 2 donkeys in August. I intend to breed with the Dales stallion and am in the process of finding out all the rules and regulations. I expect to have all the info in the next couple of weeks, so keep an eye on this post and I'll let you know the outcome!

What department are you heading for? We are in 49 - Maine et Loire, just north of the Loire River and our grass is still growing now!

Watch out for ragwort in your hay supplies - our experience is that the French don't seem to be overly concerned about avoiding baling it!

Helen and Martin.

Hi,  We're been here a year and a bit near Bergerac and have just about got the paper work sorted!  We regirstered our business with La Chambre d'Agriculture and there were various categories including breeding/elevage of horses.  I think if you're under a certain age you need to do certain qualifications in France.  They accepted my British Horse Society exams.  Perhaps it is because I have an international passport which translated my qualifications to French.  Once registered with the Chambre d'Agriculture they will ask you how you want to be insured for health.  We chose MSA only because the previous owner was with them.  All riders should have a licence with FFE Federation Francais Equitation which all FFE Poney Clubs etc. can supply.  Horses are insured differently.  Third party can be supplied with your household.  Other insurance can be given as long as your horses are registered with the National stud at Pompadour (SIRE) and GREVE - a register like Farmkey.  I may not have all these details correct but hope that they help you in the right direction.  I nearly bought a British Section B mare but found out that to breed it here with French papers it would need re-registering with the French Welsh Society - so all possible with time and patience!.

Regards Louise Bowles

Helen and Martin.

Thanks for the info.  We would be really interested in any information you receive.  Luckily we will be able to cut the hay from our own fields and if we do run  out the farmer next door will sell us some round bales.  I have already checked our and the neighbours fields for ragwort.  The biggest problem we have is the are a large number of Oak trees dotted around and they currently only have electric fencing around the boundary.  I am in the process of buying a post puncher and so we can fence all the fields and make sure that the horses are kept clear of the Oak Trees.

I note that you have donkeys. Have you been down and seen the Pitiou Donkeys in Charante (Tall with really long coats).  I was amazed and Sue immediately wanted one (Typical of Sue...I said NO (not yet anyway!!!)).

Louise,

Thanks again for the advice.  We are both 50 and have been breeding Clydesdales, llamas and Shetland sheep for 5 years in Wales but have no formal qualifications (most people I know in the UK who have been farming all their lives never have any form of qualification).

When you say that “All riders should have a licence with FFE Federation Francais Equitation which all FFE Poney Clubs etc. can supply”, does this still apply to someone who only rides privately (i.e we do not ride in any events etc)?

All the horses are registered with the British Shire Horse Society and I have just discovered that there is a French Shire Horse Society so we will be contacting them shortly.

I had heard that Health through the MSA can be expensive, have you found this to be the case?

Regards,  Mike & Sue Longhurst

Hi,  I think the licence is for riding out and covers you for third party insurance if someone finds the rider, not the horse responsible for an accident.  So you won't be needing it. 

Our cotisation for MSA health insurance was 165 euros for a family of 4.   I have nothing else to compare it with and would be interested in other comparisons.

Regards Louise Bowles

Bex,

Thanks for the info.  By thye way I like the can be difficult to get certail horse gear in France.  Like the web site and as our Clydesdales seem to think that their winter rugs (we only use them when it gets to -3+) are for tearing off and throwing around the fields, we might need to order some stuff from you.

Louise

I might enquire about the license as 2 of the clydesdales are ridden (just for walking around, nothing serious).

With regard to your MSA health insurance payments, is this amount a weekly, monthly or annual payment? (be nice if it is annual). I always work on extreems when doing the financial calculations and have allowed £2,000 PA - just a figure I plucked out of the blue - so will be nice if it is a lot lower).

I love these forums and really appreciate the knowledge and advice that pople can share.  It really helps when you are trying to make sure that the move goes as smoothly as possible.

Best regards,  Mike Longhurst