Cat Scan

essancee

Can any fellow moggy owners tell me exactly how they scan the cats' microchips when they are  checked at Calais/Coquelles prior to re-entering UK?  Does it vary depending on the Company( Eurotunnel/Sea France/P & O) Do you have to get them out of the car or can they be scanned in their travel cages? ( visions of  escaping cats disappearing into distance haunt me !) Advice and hopefully reassurance much appreciated!

Carole

I don't have a cat, but the situation will be the same if a small dog is crated.  My dog remains in the car and I am given the scanner to do it myself.  No reason why this should not be the same in your case.

When the chip is scanned it registers and remains on display until it is deleted from the scanner.  You simply scan your moggy, in its cage, until the scanner beeps and indicates the chip has been successfully scanned.  Then, return the scanner to the check-in person who will confirm the cat's identity.  Easy really.

No one scanned any of our pets. We had the four cats stacked up in separate cats boxes in the back of the car and the dog in another car.  We were prepared to move one of the cats over as the regs used to say only three animals per car. No one really bothered, they glanced at the paper work at the pet check-in at Portsmouth, the dog had been out of the second car in the doggy toilet area and the other check-in girl came out to stroke him as we put him back in, and again a glance at the paperwork and that was it.  They counted the cats, but no one said 'only three', so we left all four together.

Good luck, and if you are taking them far send me a PM as I can pass on my methods.

Washy