Should we sedate the cat?

Diana

Before we set sail for France we will put our cat in the local UK cattery for a few days while the removal men empty the house. The cat is a highly strung siamese who is always in a bit of a state when he gets back from the cattery. Approx timings for our journey are: 09.00 pick cat up from cattery and drive to the docks to catch 13.00 sailing, 18.00 arrive France, 19.00 arrive at our house. So his journey will last for 10 hours, has anyone any thoughts on getting some knock out drops from the vet and asking the cattery to give them to him first thing in the morning.

Thanks

Diana

Not many people have anything good to say about tranquillisers for cats. It was discussed recently over at Total France. Posts from about 10 down are relevant to your query.

http://www.totalfrance.com/france/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4482

I asked my vet the very same question when I left UK with my 6 cats and 4 dogs! One of the cats is very nervous and I thought she might benefit from sedation. The vet commented that this was not a good idea because the cat could end up more worried by the lack of control induced by the sedation. I was advised to use a covered box - at least partially so that the cat can hide away - and to leave water but to avoid food before and during travel. My lot were loaded up at the kennels by my mother as I had had to leave first and were in transit for a good 24 hours in total. They came over with the removal company but in a separate transit van used for that purpose - they took very good care of them, I was impressed. All the animals were absolutley fine on arrival, including the nevous cat.

Hope this helps.

Charlotte

Believe me, done it! 9 cats in the boot and a dog, two kids and a very unhappy husband driving... YOU need the tranquilisers. The cat might howl a bit, but you become immune after a while.

Forgot to add siw cats out of nine were Siamese. Boy, can they howl!

I still have most, or their offspring. They STILL howl.

hi there,

the cats will be fine! we brought 13 over and 6 dogs in a motorhome plus 9 people! for the cats we used dog bags there are specific dog carriers that you buy from Halfords for about 40 pounds each, you cat put 3 cats in each as long as they dont fight plus theres room for a  small littertray, but just put paper in as litter gets all over if they up turn it, our cats cried for about 1/2 hr and then settled down as long as they are together and you keep reasuring them, our journey was two days between Newcastle and Limousin with a sleep break as I was the only driver and the cats were fine and still are except my old 20year old who had a good year in the Sun and died peacefully, I gave the cats dried buiscuits and water on the journey but they didnt eat alot,

hope this helps