Smelly Dog

Chanto

Hi to all dog owners.  We have a beautiful black lab/retriever. He was rescued from SPA 18 months ago in the most dreadful state.  Our problem is that despite numerous baths, deodorants, grooming and fuss  - he's a stinker.  My husband thinks that it is the food he eats, rather like too many curries, eventually they ooze through the pores of the skin.  Our dog doesn't eat curry of course but dog food is a bit smelly - could this theory be true?

Our dog is so sweet and gentle but other dogs seem to dislike him and occasionally he has been attacked.  I often say it is because he smells so bad.  I say it as a joke, but could it be true?

His coat is glossy  and his skin is good - people remark that he looks in tip top condition. It doesn't really matter if he cannot smell sweeter as we would not trade him for the world but he's the smelliest dog we have ever owned and any advice would be welcome. 

When I first got my new pup I fed her of James Wellbeloved (which I found in the local supermarket) – mainly because the elder dog got on well with it. However, it made her very “gassy” (farty) and after a few months I decided I really needed to change. The change in food did stop the farts. I am now switching to a Burns which is meant to be one of the best complete dried foods available (PM me if you want to try it and need to know where to get it from – not me and I’m not commercially involved in any way).

I've been out of the pet food trade for a couple of years now so am not totally up to date but I can say for certain that paticular dogs can have particular reactions to particular food. This is why I've always given folk a funny look when they've sought my opinion on "the best". It may well be that a change will do the job.

Another thing you might want to investigate is a bacterial skin infection. If you can rule the food and the microbes out then there is a food suplement (can't remember the name) that changes the dog's smell. It's made by an Irish company Mark & Chappell and it's actually for fooling fleas into thinking that it's not a dog in front of them but it might just work in this situation.

It might be wise to eliminate any mouth infections or even a build up of plaque can make any dogs mouth smell foul - or am I working at the wrong end?

I work with abandoned dogs and simply bathing them does not get rid of that yeasty smell, however there are plenty of different types of shampoo that may only be available from the vet which might work a treat.

I do think you have a point about the smell coming out of the pores - bit like humans eating garlic.  Time will sort it out!

Chesnelay

Thank you one and all for your suggestions.  Our "smelly" has lovely clean teeth and amazingly he doesn't have smelly breath at all.  As for the other end, it rarely backfires unless he's had some leftover veg for dinner .  I doubt if he has a skin infection as he doesn't scratch unless a tick has landed and then I'm on him like a shot with the little green extractor.  He is groomed everyday so he doesn't have a build up of dead hair or skin.  (He's a real pampered pooch by the sounds of it.....

Since posting, I've asked friends about his problem and no one so far agrees with me that he pongs.  But, my car stinks even though I've THREE hanging smelly things in it and I get through gallons of Febreeze in the house.  I'm now wondering if it's not my dog but my nose which is the problem.  However,  I've looked up the odour changing food supplement and that contains garlic so I'll add some to his food and see if there is any change.  I give him cod liver oil everyday - maybe there's a link there.

He's such a sweetie and I think he's getting a complex as I keep shoving my nose on him and going "phwwooo!" 

As for being attacked - he's been set on by a boxer on sunday who came into our garden and then again last night by his best doggy friend!  The owner of the boxer couldn't understand his dog attacking and now that his best doggy friend is at it I think my poor lad will want to go live in Paris as it's too darned dangerous around here...........

Perhaps it's the "3 hanging smelly things" that are making your car smell!

Seriously, one of our rescue dogs smelt very sour, as if through her pores, for ages and I thought she would never stop.  Many years on, she now only gives off the odour if she's very stressed over something.  I think the diet thing is a serious contender as well.  Ours used to take halibut oil capsules every day and this was great for the coat and joints but perhaps not suitable for all doggy digestions?

Good luck

Chrissie (81)

Are you giving her Cod Liver Oil for joints (preventative or a bit arthritic). If you are, you might consider Glucosamine and Chondroitin as alternatives. Pretty cheap, pills (I give the one of mine that has it with his food and it now is eaten no problem, and no odours. Changing to G&C might eliminate the Cod Liver Oil potentially causing a problem. Similarly, a high quality food (not supermarket “grade” stuff) might also help.

Good quality food should not need supplements for coat and things. Help for arthritic problems might require a supplement and people speak highly of G&C (humans take it as well).

I personally feel that trying different foods may help.  Do his ears smell?  A friend's dog had a similar problem to yours and it turned out to be canker which makes the ears, and consequently the whole dog, smell rather vile.  Easily cured with powder and the dog now smells sweetly.

Another thought.  Does he swim regularly?  Is the water 'clean'?

Good luck.

[quote]Hi to all dog owners. We have a beautiful black lab/retriever. He was rescued from SPA 18 months ago in the most dreadful state. Our problem is that despite numerous baths, deodorants, grooming and ...[/quote]

Strange though it might sound, I recommend you crush a clove of Garlic into his food daily. Garlic will help purify his blood by clearing toxins which may be contributing to his smelliness. Almost certainly he has some physical problem that means he is not as healthy as he should be. I'd worm him, and give either fresh garlic, or granules (even garlic powder or oil will do, but it's VERY strong). He will not end up smelling like garlic, but it may make him smell more like a dog and less offensive to all. Try to use food that is 'natural', so perhaps stop feeding prepared dog foods which are full of chemicals he may not be able to metabolise. Cooked meat (even table scraps, but preferably not curry!) rice, boiled potatoes, pasta, might help to sort out his stink. It's almost certainly a digestive problem, but is also his own smell to some extent. Once cleaned out, you might find his untoxicated scent is quite pleasant, but not unlike the one he has now.

I have a hound, filthy old girl, always out on the razz.... smells like flowers. Figure that one out???

Right, as from this weekend my pongy pooch is having a change of diet with some crushed garlic added.  I've stuck my nose down his ears and they don't smell as though there is an infection or anything going on.  He is our sixth dog during our long years and we gave them all cod liver oil.  Probably we read somewhere long ago that it was good for their coats of something, but we have always done it.  All of our dogs enjoyed long and active lives - although none as smelly as this one.

He gets wormed every six months as recommended and I check his poo from time to time for the little flecks of rice just in case. 

As for diet, he eats mostly doggy food which is half dried and half wet but about twice a week he has human food in the form of sugarless scraps with veg, rice or pasta.  He gets a big juicy bone once a week - sometimes twice if there is one going from the kitchen. 

Despite being the lab/retriever he doesn't like swimming.  He has the typical webbed feet but only likes to paddle in our nearby lakes.  I got him swimming once on a lead in Lac Vassiviere but he almost drowned me trying to climb  on my back so I won't try that again.  He once lost his favourite ball in Lac Uzurat as he didn't have the gumption to swim for it and it floated out to the middle while he sat crying on the bank.  -  See, I told you he was a woose.

So, as a special thank you for all the advice, I've posted his pic (without smellyvision).  And, as you can see he's lovely.