Holiday for Suki!

Lautrec

We are intending to pay a week's visit to Devon from where we originally came from. We would like to take our little Birman cat with us as we cannot bear to leave her behind. She likes travelling and is up to date with all her jabs! Could anyone inform me of what the procedure is regarding blood testing which I understand has to be carried out 24 hours before the intended journey and what documents we should take with us!

Maxine

Assuming you have already had the bloodtests with a positive result and waited 6 months then all you need is to go to the vet 24/48hrs before the trip to be treated for ticks and be dewormed.  You passport will then be updated ready for travel. Don't forget to keep your rabies jabs uptodate or you will have the 6month wait all over again

Le Chateau des Animaux 

I’m only aware of the stuff for dogs but think it’s the same for cats. I think it may be a bit more or longer timescales than your post suggests.

Everything is now recorded by your vet in the Pet Passport (so get one from your vet).

You may have been through part of the procedure but basically: Your pet should be microchipped (for tattooed dogs there is a procedure that allows a microchip to be fitted later, but otherwise the microchip must be fitted before anything else). Next your pet should be vaccinated against rabies. Sometimes people have a 2nd vaccination a month after the first as this increases the chances of good immunity levels. Then, around (or at least) 1 month after the last rabies vaccination a blood sample is taken and tested for the level of rabies immunity. If an acceptable level is measured, you then wait 6 months from when the successful blood sample was taken before you can enter the UK. If the sample is not OK, then re-vaccinate, re-test, etc. until a successful sample/test is taken then wait the 6 months.

Each rabies vaccination entered in the Pet Passport has a vaccination date and a valid until date. At the moment in France the valid until date will be 1 year from the vaccination date (i.e. you need to be re-vaccinated each year). Provided you maintain the re-vaccinations then you do not need any further blood tests/6 month waits. However, miss a vaccination date and you need another blood test and 6 month wait.

Between 24 and 48 hours of checking in for your trip to the UK your pet needs to be treated against Ticks and tapeworms by a vet (and the treatments recorded in the Pet Passport.

For dogs, when you book a ferry crossing you also have to book your pet (and pay a minimal fee). It is the ferry operator that checks your pets paperwork when you check-in at the ferry port. I’ve no experience of channel tunnel or flights with pets. In my experience your pet stays in the car for he ferry trip.

Its not too complex (just sounds it when described in writing by me). Provided all the paperwork is in order its dead easy.

Full details and rules at http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/index.htm