Dry dog food.

Dolly

We have a German Shepherd that suffers from an enzyme deficiency and requires regular medication. The only food he tolerates is James Wellbeloved.

A recent posting informed us that it can be purchased from a supermarket.

Can anyone tell us if it is widely available or should we bring copious supplies with us?

Thanks. Dolly 87.

I used to be able to get it in my local Leclerc supermarket, but they stopped selling it some time ago and I’ve not seen it anywhere since. However, it did not smell the same as the stuff I used to buy in the UK (James Wellbeloved again) – much more “bitter” smell. I didn’t like it atall (hence I actually changed before the supermarket stopped selling it).

I don’t know your dogs condition, but you can get Burns dry food in France (which is also available in the UK as well). If you want to consider this (which is pretty good stuff), though I’m unsure of it hypoallergenic aspects), I can let you know where to get it and somebody (expert) you can call re: its suitability. I’m not commercially involved with any dog food suppliers. If you want details, PM me as publishing somebody else’s telephone number/details is a) not a good idea and b) could be advertising.

If thinking about bringing loads with you (and you are moving permanently, check the “best before” dates as after that vitamin, etc. content may not be up to what is said on the packet. Also, depending on where you live, be careful how you store it as before I purchased plastic dustbins, the mice loved chewing holes in the sacks to get at the food.

Regards

Ian

We have a German Shepherd that suffers from an enzyme deficiency and requires regular medication. The only food he tolerates is James Wellbeloved

I am sorry, I don't know anything about enzyme deficiency and the avalability of James Wellbeloved...so basicly not an amazing help, however, I do know the diffeculty with a German Shepherd stomoch.

So just incase you do have a big problem I was wondering if you had tried Royal canin German Shepherd 24™ Formula

We have a German Shepherd and it is the ONLY food that our dog CAN eat (without getting a upset stomoch and we tried many many brands) and Will eat (would just plain refuse to eat other dog foods unless desperate and it is mixed with tuna).  And it is available in France

P.S I have no connection with the company

I, too, have German Shepherds with dodgy stomachs, and have always fed them on Burns, Proplan etc, until someone suggested that I try something called 'Quat' Pat' ie. both 4 pastas and 4 paws, quite clever really! It is a complete dog food mainly composed of pasta spirals and dried chicken/lamb etc. I have seen it in most supermarkets and it costs about 6€/4 kg. You can either add warm water or feed it crunchy and my two love it - they are very picky eaters and have never had a single 'squitty' stomach since they started.

Regards

Chris