Local SPA

chegerty

Has anyone had any experience of an SPA rescue centre? A mother cat with 4 kittens has taken up residence in our garden. This is the second cat in this situation in the past six months to appear from the same house in the village. My parents adopted the last mother cat after the kittens were collected by the owner in the village. This new mother is from the same household but the family don't want any more cats/kittens.

We already have 3 rather old cats which we brought with us from the UK and they are a bit miffed by this new-comer. I'm also concerned that the poor mother cat will be pregnant again in a very short time if she is not neutered and the whole thing will start again with the kittens.

Reluctantly, I'm thinking of taking the cat and kittens to the local SPA and wondered if anyone else had had to do this or had any experience?

Thanks

Catherine

The SPAs are not very picky about who adopts their animals, certainly not like the UK.  Kittens are a dime a dozen  here unfortunately  people seem to find it unnecessary to sterilse.

If homes cannot be found they may be put down.  But honestly that is not so bad and atleast more unwanted cats are avoided and they dont have to live and awful life.  Before I get slated, I am an extreme animal lover but I still feel that being put down is better than living in a cage all your life.  It is pain free and quick.

[quote]The SPAs are not very picky about who adopts their animals, certainly not like the UK. Kittens are a dime a dozen here unfortunately people seem to find it unnecessary to sterilse. If homes cannot...[/quote]

We adopted our dog from the SPA and, although they didn't come and 'inspect' the house, we did have to complete a form of many questions regarding our home/garden/it would not be left alone if we went away on holiday/general future welfare of the dog. Another requisite is that you had to have the dog/cat sterilised.

Form filling and promises of its future life, but no checks that the promises we made were fulfilled.

The staff at Perigueux SPA appeared to be very caring of the animals despite the large number of animals they had at the shelter.

I would point out that there is a charge to 'abandon' a cat or dog with them as well as a fee for adoption + vets jabs etc.