Rescue dogs, and taking the across French border....

chocccie

.... I want to get a dog from a resuce centre when we move to France permantnely next year, what's the procedure.  Do they come and "vet" you?

Also, how easy is it to take dogs across the French border, into, say Italy and Spain.  Does one need to get a passport as required to take them into England?

I'm guessing it will be easier to get a dog once we get to France, rather than bring one with us (can't wait!  just don't have the space/time for dogs here in England).

Crossing European Borders (excl. UK) with a dog is straight forward. You need your dog vaccinated and get a Pet Passport (maybe wait one month after the vaccination – unsure). The Pet Passport to get into other European countries is the same document as required to enter the UK, only the other European countries do not require the blood test, 6 month wait and tick & tapeworm treatments.

To use the same Pet Passport to get into the UK you need the blood test, 6 months, etc. and also for each visit tick and tapeworm treatment between 24 and 48 hours of check-in

Entry to UK regulations at http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/index.htm

When travelling in France, etc. in summer with a dog do remember that it gets hot here and you cannot leave your dog in the car unattended (cars become ovens).

If you are moving to France, I would encourage you to do the blood test etc. for entry to UK even if you do not intend to visit or return to the UK. Circumstances can change and there have been several “re-home” requests because people have to return to the UK and do not have time for the 6 month wait to take their dog with them. Once the blood test is done and you keep up the rabies boosters you can return at any time, should any unforeseen need arise).

Hope this helps.

Ian

Thanks for your help.

Christine - I'll certainly get in touch - we'll be in the Haute Vienne.

I wouldn't leave a dog locked in a car no matter what the weather.  In fact, I once smashed a car window to get a dog out who was obviously in great distress with the heat.  I went for attack being the best form of defence when the owner got back and made him so ashamed so he ignored that I'd smashed his window up.

Re: Dogs in Cars in summer. Sorry, I did not mean to suggest you would. It’s something that has struck me quite a bit since I have lived here. In the UK, my experience (when I had a dog there) was that there are relatively few days when a dog cannot be left in a car. Here (in France) my dogs go out to shops, etc. all the time in winter but not possible in summer. It also surprised me how leaving a window open does not always help a great deal. I used to think about getting a camper van to travel around but I think the heat in summer would be too much for them – so I dropped that idea.

Ian