Compromis/Asbestos

Compromis will be signed by vendor on 23/7 then on to us in the UK.
The Inspection report will show "several asbestos panels around some doors and windows". Did not see them on our visits, probably under plaster/wallpaper?

Should we be concerned, should panels be removed or left if sound.
Should we ask vendor to remove panels, I suspect they would not be happy to fund this as they have already reduced the price of the property to match the offer we can afford.

Grateful for views of those who have encountered similar issues.

Regards
Mike

Hi,

Apparently there are different types of asbestos and not all are dangerous to health. In our case a sample was sent away and it was found to be ok.

Had it not been, then the estate agent would have made it a condition of the sale that it was disopsed of before completion, and he would have arranged the disposal.

In my humble opinion it would be best to get a clean bill of health for your property before completion at least because you are then covered in the situation that someone later comes along alledging that they've aquired asbestosis (or similar) whilst working on your property whilst you owned it. It wouldn't surprise me if some firms would refuse to work on a property without a clean bill of health, or at least hike up the price of work.

F24.

Hi,

We had something very similar turn up on our asbestos report and the "panels" turned out to be nothing more than detachable screen-type-thingies that the old lady here hung on the outside of a non-shuttered door and window during the winter to keep out the cold. We asked for them to be removed and the vendors daughter simply came and unhinged the things and took them away in her car - so, it could be that simple, you just need to ask more questions, I think.

Penny

Thank you for your replys.

Initial reaction from immobilier was that this is common in older properties (circa 1900) which have been extended over the years.
I will need to get clarification and a health check carried out before signing compromis.

I have sent E-mail to immobilier and await a responce.

Thanks
Mike