REPORTING ANIMAL CRUELTY

Yvonne

Hi?

Does anyone know if there is a French equivalent of the RSPCA? On a nearby farm I have seen a very sad looking pony with hooves that are about 6 inches off the floor which must be incredibly uncomfortable. Obviously, being local, I want to be able to report this anonymousy if I can.

Thanks

abim

The French equivalent of the RSPCA is the SPA and their internet site is http://www.spa.asso.fr/ .

Before you report the pony though, can you not find out if there is somebody looking after it, or if there might be a way to convince the owner to look after its feet properly?

Another possibility is to ask your local vet. There was a horse with nasty bleeding growths that was being badly troubled by flies and it was reported to a local vet who sent somebody out to check. Don’t know what finally happened.

In theory you can report animal abuse to the local police, court authorities or (as said above) the local animal welfare organisations. Your complaint should then be taken to the state prosecutor (who may pursue legal action). You can always write to the state prosecutor yourself.

As for anonymity – I have no idea about how open the organisations are about who made the complaint.

Ian