Urgent Kitten question.

Trixyminx

Hello im new to these forums!

I'm not sure if i am in the right place, but i have a kitten query if anyone can help?

My sister lives in france and has a cat (a ferrel that is heavily pregnant) When the cat gives birth she said the kittens will be distroyed.  (As she hasnt the time to care for them). Does any kind soul know of a cat rescue place in southern france that i can suggest she takes the kittens to rather than being put down? Shes lives in a small village outside of toulouse. So any where near there would be fantastic. I have trawled the internet and have come up with nothing so far, It might be an unusual request but i would feel so much happier if she saved them.

Links would be brilliant if anyone can help!

Many thanks! Clare AKA Trixyminx

hi there,

I know you have been given the local SPA address however you will be very lucky if they will take kittens, the french don't class kittens as been very important and sometimes as vermin, and they would probebly refuse them or just destroy them anyway, what you need to do is tell your friend let the mother nurse them as long as possible then catch them, but in the meantime put cards in the local shops vets and paper and on these forums TF and this one or get in touch with the local charity rescue whose policy is not to put healthy animals down

phoenix assocation in the dordogne

www.pheonixassoc.com sheelagh will either take them or probebly let you know of another nearer rescue and will advise you as she is wonderful and so caring!

hope this helps

Sadly, there are too many unwanted animals. I know kittens (or puppies for that matter) are cuter and therefore more likely to get homed but even so, your good heart may still be consigning another litter of unnecessary kittens to an uncertain future in refuges or as semi-ferals scraping a life. I don't think it is a bad thing to have them humanely (no buckets and water involved) put down at birth or shortly afterwards. Maybe just leaving the mother with one to nurse. Lizzy H is right: cats aren't "valued" in France the way they are in the UK.

You could offer to pay your sister to have the mother cat speyed which would be a much more practical use of time and money.

Edit:

Trixy, I think there's a typo in the link in Lizzy's post above and it should be www.phoenixasso.com

Yes she will be having the cat speyed. I do see your point about it possibly being the most humane way. We love cats in our family, i just think its such a shame to kill innocent animals when they could be rehomed and have the possibility of finding a home. I got my kitten from a rescue centre and am pleased someone took the time to hand him and his brothers in.

If I had allowed 3 of the 15 plus feral females I have had neutered to go to full term and give birth, it would have resulted in 13 more animals needing love, food and neutering!

Hard as it was to make that decision, and ther's no one softer hearted than me, the cats are far better for it. Only 3 males left to do now............

our neighbour's cat has about 2 litters a year and each time the kittens are drowned!!!!  Sounds cold-hearted and is really but seems to be the way of life here and often hear of people doing exactly the same all over in our area!!!