Red tummy rash on our dog - what is it?

Georgina

Our dog has just developed a red rash on its tummy which is a bit lumpy, she has been noshing all sorts in the garden.  I have never seen this on a dog before. I can only think it is like some allergy as you would have on humans.  She unfortunately eats (poo)  and there could be anything in that.  She is perfectly fine and is not ill and still eats her dinner. As it just happened, I wonder what we should look out for. Anybody seen a rash on the bare bit of the tummy.  It was a little in her inside ears but that has now gone.

Georgina[*-)]

Yes Robbie thanks, I have washed all her bedding and made an appointment. But in the meantime noticed that the cat over the road looks like the culprit and has given her a good scratching, as the owner points out, she is not fond of other animals and does this regularly.

It looks like you have got a cocker spaniel too? Perhaps you can tell me how to stop her eating you know what??? and then getting onto the kitchen table before we all end up down with something.[&]

Cheers

Georgina

[quote user="Georgina"]

Yes Robbie thanks, I have washed all her bedding and made an appointment. But in the meantime noticed that the cat over the road looks like the culprit and has given her a good scratching, as the owner points out, she is not fond of other animals and does this regularly.

It looks like you have got a cocker spaniel too? Perhaps you can tell me how to stop her eating you know what??? and then getting onto the kitchen table before we all end up down with something.[&]

Cheers

Georgina

[/quote]

Yes, he's a lovely little dog and I wouldn't be without him.  He's not greedy and not overweight.  He's fed on Frolic as his staple diet, and his dish is always topped up so he need never go hungry.  I always leave him something after I've had dinner or I'll cook a bit extra for him. 

As there is always food available he never has to wolf his food down.  He loves chicken and will always leave some until later if there is too much in his dish that is separate from his main food.

I haven't a clue about coprophagia which I think is caused by a vitamin deficiency.

Robbie, I think I will fill the dish up again when she has eaten. Don't want her to get fat, she is not underweight but always scavaging.  They are lovely dogs aren't they though,  So pretty. I think she has still not got used to competing with eight others for food yet.  She is only 5 months old.

I have spoken to a few about her bad habit now and it appears not to be uncommon.  Just gross! ha.

Georgina

I started leaving Charley's dish full when I started him on Frolic, and he had finished his puppy food.   I think you need to watch her in case she does eat too much.  Charley has never had to compete for food and he gets lots of exercise.  We go out each morning and walk for over an hour and he has a large garden in which to play.

I do recall reading that coprophagia is due to a vitamin deficiency in dogs and they do this to remedy it.  I'd have a word with your vet.