pets from non-EU countries

skye

Hi - does anyone have any experience in bringing in pets from non-european countries to France? I want to bring my two cats from Kenya to France for  at least six months and then  get their pet passports for travel to the UK while in France. I understand that I have to go through having the blood tests done from an approved lab (any idea how I find one since there's apparently none in Africa?), have the vet fill out the EU form (68?) and then its no problem - does this sound right? Any help much appreciated!

Skye

I don’t know specifically about Kenya. However, once in France (don’t know the Kenya to France regulations), you would need to start a new 6 month wait before travelling on to the UK. This is because entry to the UK requires not only a 6 month wait after a successful blood test but also that the animal has not been outside a “listed” country (listed as participating in the Pet travel scheme) in the preceding 6 months.

Specifically from the regulations : The 6 calendar month wait to enter or re-enter the UK from the date a blood sample was taken that gave a satisfactory test result still applies. Animals must not have been outside any of the listed countries in the 6 calendar months before entering the UK.

Ian

• 1 month later...
We  moved our cat from Malta (at the time not in the EU), to France, and then six months later to UK. We just walked in at the airport, and were not challenged, but we had done some injections/official papers beforehand, but I can't remember what they were?

Brought our Great Dane here to France about 4 years ago.  To get into France we required up to date rabies jabs, a microchip, and a health certificate from the SA state vet. Don't know what the EU38? is - perhaps it is the health certificate. Also, undoubtedly, import documentation but this  and the actual transport arrangements, crate and so forth was taken care of by a pet relocation service.  They were able to arrange that he was shipped on the same plane as we went on, important, as it was a 14 hour flight and he was in quite a state when we collected him and really needed the reassurance of "his people".  If you have a pet  relocation service they will know or will find out what is required otherwise one of the freight forwarders should be able to take care of it.  Blood tests I think will have to be done in France but are not, (or were not then) required to get into France.  I don't think that there are any approved labs outside Europe.

If you want to do the whole thing yourself,  be aware that different airlines have different rules about live animals.  We found that the French national airline insisted, for example, on plastic crates only - no problem with your cats but a plastic animal crate is not made large enough for a Dane.  S A Airways, and probably others, will (or would then) offload live animals at the last minutes, in favour of the more delicate tropical fish, probably happens in Kenya a lot(in the seventies, used to live there and scuba dived - tropical fish was quite big business).On the other hand, I have heard somewhere that some airlines will allow cats or very small dogs to be carried on as hand baggage  but doubt if it includes international flights.

Sorry if I have covered stuff that you already know or don't need.

Anne

What a coincidence. I am moving a Great Dane from India next month.

It is a fairly convuluted process. First you need to have the dog/cat chipped with an EU chip. Difficult to get in France, we didnt find any vets willing to help. Sourced them in germany finally. Then you need a rabies blood test done by an EU recognised lab. which will then issue the pet passport. Voila... three months later the animal can enter the EU.

We are currently dealing with the airlines. Air France isnt an option... since they only want plastic crates. Good luck finding one big enough for a dane...

Hi Afy

Just a passing thought, think carefully before you sedate your Dane for the journey.  We had thought about it,  felt it would be kinder, but our pet relocation people pointed out that if  the crate shifted and/or he had a fall and say, twisted a leg beneath himself or something similar, he would be unable to right himself if he was unconscious or semi-conscious.  After several hours he could suffer serious damage or death.  Probably not too much of a problem with cats or small animals but with a dog weighing upwards of 70 kilos................different story.  Our pet transporters gave ours a homeopathic calming product called Rescue although I suspect that it was really for calming us rather than the dog.  

Anne

Given that it will be a 12 hour journey, we are even considering putting her under anesthesia. It is a risk, but I am at my wits end with the process.

I personally would even consider rehoming her, rather than the ordeal she has been through staying at a kennel for 4 months. And now this, but my wife is adamant. And all I have as a role is to sign the cheques for various things.

Personally I do not think it was the right decision to put her in a kennel, however life always has a googly up its sleeve.

As a side note, I now have to buy a house with "no less than" 2000 sq m of lawn, since the dog is coming. The dog is becoming a lot more expensive than I ever dreamt it would be...  cheers. 

We brought our Sheltie from Australia with us, 2 flights one 8 hour the other 14 hours. Think he was awake the whole time as he slept like he's never slept once we picked him up (after spending 4 hours looking for him coz the idiots at the airport sent him to cargo for some idiotic reason and really stressed him out. Anyway, we were advised not to sedate him as it often causes more problems than good.

We were lucky with the paperwork side.We had an excellent company in Oz that handled everything regarding his flight, rabies jabs, microchip etc. The only stuff up as I said earlier was him being sent to cargo on our arrival in France.

It is important to distinguish not only EU and non-EU

countries but more importantly Pet Passport participating countries and non-Pet

Passport participating countries. 

Australia for example participates in the Pet Passport scheme and thus,

from a rabies/quarantine perspective it is as easy to enter the EU from

Australia as any other EU country. 

However, if you arrive from e.g. Guatemala  (which does not participate in the Pet Passport scheme) things are

a bit more complex.

Ian