Advise please! - Purchasing 1960s longere

We were over in 79 earlier in the week on our fourth visit, and found a longere style house nr to Parthenay that matched our criteria... close to village with commerce, near to Parthenay, nice bit of land, plenty of room and lots of scope. We put in an offer earlier this morning which has been accepted, and then received details via fax re notaires etc plus more details of the house we hope to purchase. The problem - if it is a problem - is that what we thought was an old ie 19th C house (we were led to believe it was) was in fact built in 1963! The outside of the house is rendered/painted or the French equivalent, and the ceilings on the ground floor are covered up a la mode of 1970.. but there are old beams and wood flooring in the attic. Questions: a)what is the likelyhood that there are old beams that can be exposed for the ground floor? and b) is buying a 1960s house a no - no...? Are you living quite happily in this age of house? am I being snobbish being disappointed that its not 'old'? What about eventual resale? Would we have difficulty selling because people want the real ie 'old' thing??

I hope this email doesn't sound as stupid as it reads, but truthfully its our only concern right now... I was really excited this morning until I found out the date of build!

Well it`s almost an antique in it`s own right isn`t it ?

Seriously though , if you like the house , and it looks the part and everything else ie. location convenience etc. are what you are after then nothing changes does it ?

As for whatever is under the ceiling , who knows , it`s the same whatever you buy unless everything is exposed , if there are no beams then you may be able to put some in.

As for selling the house at a later date , if you bought it , why shouldn`t anyone else ?.

Go with your `gut `feelings and enjoy.

Regards,

Jude

Friends recent purchase looks very stylish 1930s, Is actually 1870. The only thing which gives away neighbours new house is that it is too true. If you want beams be prepared for a lot of very hard work to put in ceilings which are clean and dust proof.

These "traditional style" new builds are increasingly popular, and many are very authentic. We've been inside one or two places in Provence where, if you didn't know the owners had had the house built in the mid 1990s, you would have assumed it was a very expensively modernised 19th century mas. It's amazing what clever builders can do these days with rendering, fake beams,etc. And many people add original features such as reclaimed beams, fireplaces, antique doors, even old bathroom fittings.

You like the house, then go for it.

M

it concerns me a little that you were led to believe it was something that it is not. That is fundamentally wrong and may suggest there is something to hide so think carefully. Alos the price/value might be somewhat different for house of authentic age and character to a relative new build. Does the price reflect the true standing of the property?

However if the house is all you want and need and you really like it then go for it.

Thanks to all who gave advice - especially RedRedWine; as I have just had it confirmed that the year 1963 was when the current owners moved in, and that the house was built around 100yrs ago and is constructed in stone not concrete block!!

V Happy Now!!! - conveyancing going well - completion date expected round 1st Nov, maybe before that, fingers crossed!

Leigh