Raw Diet for Dogs... Best means to procure Meats...

Afy

Our dog(s) are fed on a raw diet. Ie. Raw Meat and Meaty Bones, Organs etc... given the high cost of meat in the supermarkets the question arises... how do we procure meat more cheaply. The hunting season I believe is over, so that isnt an option currently... :(

Ideas and solutions greatly appreciated...

Hi Afy, if this keyboard gets any more dicklecsick I'll give up, but?.

You have probably read the book 'Give your dog a bone' written by an Aussy vet. He goes along with you thoughts, as do we.

In the U.K. we had a wonderful butcher who cut lamb ribs for us and left loads of meat on them. They charged us £2.40 for 8 sets of ribs, these we cut into 3 and froze them. Our chocolate lab had one of these every day and LOVED them. Some were huge and she had a balll munching her way through them. The lamb bones are not, repeat not splinter bones if they are raw, only when cooked and should NEVER be given to your dog after being cooked!!! We also fed her on food called Nature Diet which is not in tins but in flat 'poly packets' (sorry no other explanation for them).

Since we have been over here we have not been able to gather the courage to ask the butcher in Villmoustaussou to cut the ribs for us for our dog, but we have been getting the Nature Diet food from a family run company in Holland. It's couriered down to us and although it's more expensive that the 'anicrap' sold in the supermarkets it is very good, as is the service!!! It is the same product as in the U.K., just marketed from Holland.

If you have not read the book, above, then it is worth a read. We believe in 'what you eat is what you are' and if that is the case for us then a dog is just another mamal??? If you would like anymore gen on the book or the Holland suppliers then just either e-mail me or the wonderful PM.

John.

P.S. When our Celé (our lovely, piggy lab) was fed on the raw lamb ribs we never saw any evidence of the bones that went in after it came out again. Wot a thought[H].

Most supermarkets sell remains and offcuts of meat and bones for dogs

in the butchery dept. Carrefour always have some bagged up in a

separate section. Intermarche used to give away bones if you asked but

now charge a nominal amount. Even if it's big bones we saw them up with

an electric saw.  Champion sell small packs of offcuts which are

quite expensive. Pat.

I find this very interesting because one of our two dogs became ill a few months back and I was told by our vet here in the UK to give him chicken and rice only. So this is what I gave both of them for about a month. The vet then said this is not something you can keep them on longer than about six weeks and that I must now start giving them dog food because it has all of the nutrients that they need.

They absolutely loved this of course and I asked him if there was something I could supplement chicken and/or beef with such as vegetables or anything else to give them nutrients and he said no. This would not be nutritional enough for them long term and I would need to give them dog food.

I have not read the book that has been mentioned but would be interested to know for those of you that don't give dog food if you supplement with anything else?

We now get the cheap cuts of beef from our local Internarché; about 2.80€ Kg. We mince it up with carrot, broccolie, corgette and any other vegies we can find. These are formed into hand sized balls and into the freezer and Celé, our dog, loves it. If you are interested in the Nature Diet stuff then have a look at this site http://www.naturediet.net/index.html . We are nothing more than very happy customers of these people... The U.K. people don't export to France, but the dutch people are the ones that we deal with. If you want any details then e-mail me...

Going to sleeeeeeep, time for beddddddd me thinks!?

John.

I have fed raw for several years now. So am fairly up to speed on the topic.

If a Vet is telling you that kibble is healthier for your dog, then I am sorry your Vet is wrong.

My issue is that I have Great Danes, who require significantly more than a couple of ribs a day... and unfortunately the hunting season is over. :(