Kittens found

londoneye

I have just been to clear up some old trees trunks etc we piled up and was waiting for them to dry before burning, when a cat ran out from the large pile.  As I reached towards bottom i found what i at first thought was going to be rat or snake (by shuffling) but sadly is 5 very small kittens.   they have fur but i didnt want to disturb or touch them so i cannot see if eyes open or not.   I would say they are 3-4 weeks old.    I have no idea what to do - I dont want 5 cats - I dont want 5 feral cats around attacking my cat either.   But, of course i dont want them to die.   I have tried to cover the area with cut ferns etc and leaves to keep the sun off.   Does anyone have a view on whether the mother will either come back and continuing feeding them or try to move them?    I found them about 30 minutes ago and its pretty hot today, so not sure whether i should put  more cover on?

any thoughts welcome please?

Maybe put a bit more cover over, but then keep away. Mother will come back - she must know that you're in the vicinity which hasn't perturbed her previously. You need to be sure she's feral and not someone's loved moggie but if stray or feral, I'd be tempted to leave them for a day or two and see if she moves them. If she does not - and I realise I'll probably get hate mail for this suggestion - I'd take 3 kittens and have them put down at the vets. Then I'd start putting food out for her and the two remaining kittens for the next few months and hopefully tame them a little. Then trap her and get her spayed followed by the kittens when they're 6 months-ish. If you take them all now, ma will just produce another litter. If you leave them all, not only have you got 6 cats around, but they'll all be breeding by next year.

I was wondering whether to put some food out for mother to try and tempt her back?

I dont think mother is feral - the father is i (or i assume the black tom which lives in field is father as one kitten is black anyway).   Definitely my cat cant be blamed as he is castrated!  I got a quick look at cat and i think its either opposite farm's cat or one from down the road a bit.   However, cant believe none of them knew their cat was pregnant so dont really believe any of them are going to do anything except deny the kittens are their moggies, or alternatively take them with a smile and drown them once our backs are turned.   Looked a few times from distance and no sign of mother returning that i can see yet.

I was wondering whether to put some food out for mother to try and tempt her back?

I dont think mother is feral - the father is (or i assume the black tom which lives in field is father as one kitten is black anyway).   Definitely my cat cant be blamed as he is castrated!  I got a quick look at mother and i think its either opposite farm's cat or one from down the road a bit.   However, cant believe none of them knew their cat was pregnant so dont really believe any of them are going to do anything except deny the kittens are their moggies, or alternatively take them with a smile and drown them once our backs are turned.   Looked a few times from distance and no sign of mother returning that i can see yet.

Our cat had kittens in May, and I have been full of admiration at the very strong maternal instinct she has had towards them. She was ready to face off two large dogs she thought were going to attack them (in fact they were just our wussy labradors who were curious). I don't doubt the mother will be back for her babies, and might move them overnight.

I don't disgree with having to dispose of several of them,better that than leaving them to run wild, but if they are moved you might have trouble finding them!

Its a bit of a double edged sword to be honest - covered them up well and left them for night after much agonising about animals getting them.   went down with some trepidation this morning, visions in my head of scenes from chainsaw massacre etc etc.    No sign - just a little gap where they were.    no fur, blood or guts, so surmise mother has moved them.    Now, as you say question is where to?    Will have a scout around obvious places, as not that many potentials left now as we have cleared a lot of the grounds now.    Selfishly hoping she may have moved them to someone else's land who might want a couple of them if they survive.    

We are determined not to make the mistake of taking on a load of animals we cant afford and dont really want (one cat one dog is sufficient for us), but its terribly hard to see them defenceless like that and not worry about them.    

[quote user="londoneye"]

Its a bit of a double edged sword to be honest - covered them up well and left them for night after much agonising about animals getting them.   went down with some trepidation this morning, visions in my head of scenes from chainsaw massacre etc etc.  

[/quote]

Well, at least if they're eaten by something, it's likely a quick death and they've entered the food chain - something wild survives another night because they didn't. That "natural balance" doesn't happen via a trip to the vet. But regardless, it's a very difficult situation and I'd have been agonising exactly the way you have. Keep an eye open - have you got any accessible barns or outbuildings? She may have moved them there. Though it is so hot at the moment, they are probably in a nest somewhere outdoors. Good luck. [:)]

The cat who 'belongs' to our farmer neighbour has had I dont know how many litters over the last few years. The nest always seem to be on our land, perhaps mum has realised what happens if she has them at home. We have stumbled across them accidentally several times and once she realises we have discovered them she moves them on. The first few times we were very upset and worried and still are but obviously getting used to it. I used to leave some food and milk but dont anymore and I think she has gone elsewhere. Didnt really want to just move the problem on but it was very upsetting ( Another story about the one that got left behind)

appreciate what you are saying, but with the best will in the world, i cannot afford to (and actually dont want to) catch all neighbourhood cats and get them spayed.   I would be on a losing mission.  dont misunderstand me, i do know that what you are saying is correct, and i am not being churlish, but if i started that i would  essentially end up as a one-woman free spaying clinic.  

But thank you for all your comments.   i thought i would be relieved that  they are gone but actually i have worried about them more today not knowing where they are - ive been poking around all day and no sign.   i guess its just another part of french country life that i will have to get used to coping with.   if i do find them i will no doubt be back asking for advice on feeding !