Cat owners in SW France

Rose

Calling all cat lovers - we're planning out forthcoming move and have been to the vets today to get our three cats chipped and vaccinated against rabies.  We've been following the regulations and all this seems to be in order...  My question is....

Our vet has arranged a series of further vaccinations - cat flu and feline leukaemia - but has asked if we can find out any local knowledge about cat treatments - she says that her information is for the whole of France and sometimes a bit of local knowledge is more useful.  In particular she was asking if there is any feline illness prevalent in the area and if there is a preferred tick/worm/flea treatment for cats.  We will be living 30 minutes from Bergerac for the first year whilst we search for 'the' new home. 

I would welcome any local information from any learned cat owners in the area!  [:D]

Hi There.

Know how you must be feeling having moved with our 12 year old male Siamese here four months ago. We are around 30 mins from Bergerac on the D936 to Bordeaux.

No known illnesses as far as I know, vets are very good, better if you find an English speaking one. Found one practice at Montpon where one of the partners is actually English.

Some treatments like 'Drontil' are available over the counter at a Pharmacy, so no need to go to vets for these.

Also a good cattery close to Sainte Foy le Grande run by an English couple, started up at beginning of the year.

If I can be of any further help, feel free to PM me.

Regards.

More2Learn.

Hi

Our two have had nothing more than you are planning for your three - obviously boosters every year tho.  We use Frontline - easily available, pharmacie, vets and some supermarkets.  We also have found a brilliant vet - in Le Buisson - he's Dutch but speaks superb English.

Whereabouts are you moving to ... 30 mins from Bergerac in which direction?

Hi, good luck with your move.  We moved to the Aude (mid-way between Toulouse and Carcassonne) almost years ago with our 3 cats - the only real difference we've noticed since we've come here is that the cats suffer more from fleas (easily treatable with Frontline) and one of our cats (mostly white) has now lost an ear to skin cancer [:(] (we're using factor 50 suncream on his remaining ear now). [8-|]