Renewing CU - Idiots guide please

Hi everyone,

Please, could one of you give me a run down of re-applying for outline planning permission. The simpler the  explanation the better!

Ours expires in November and, as we won't be commencing major works until next year, we assumed we would need to renew.

However, we were told by a local (registered) builder that, as long as we have done 'something' (which we have) the CU will automatically continue beyond the expiry date. He suggests that just having building materials delivered and stored on site is enough.

This seems too good to be true and we don't want to fall foul of the rules - hopefully one of the more knowledgeable forum members (Val 2 perhaps) can advise us.

Thanks in advance.

[quote]Hello You talk about a cu which is a certificate de urbanisation which gives you permission to develop the land you have to have a permis de construire (detailed planning permission) to actually buil...[/quote]

Hi Dunrunnin

Thank you for your reply - got a feeling we've made a boo-boo.

Before purchase, which included clause suspensif (sp) for planning consent being obtained for renovation of house and for converting seperate barn into habitation, immobilier emailed to say she had received Certificat D'Urbanism Positif.

CU includes this paragraph:

Demande precisant I'operation projetee. Dans ce cas, rappel des caracteristiques de I'operation projetee, c'est a dire, s'iI ya lieu, la destination et la nature des batiments projetes ainsi que la superficie de leurs planchers hors (2uvre (art. L410-1._me alinea du code de I'urbanisme).

Nature de I'operation

RENOVATION DES BATIMENTS EXISTANTS EN HABITATION

immobilier stated in email:  It is positive to renovate all buildings in habitation.

Now assume this means just the house which was already vaguely habitable.

I suspect this means we have to go back to square one!!!

Obviously one of those situations where you read what you expect it to say

Hi Val

What Mik says is correct, you have the equivalent of Outline Planning Permission and you need to apply for full,detailed,planning permission before you can develop your buildings. Either you were badly advised by the agent, or there has been a misunderstanding all round! Your builder should have realised as you will have no detailed drawings to work to? You need to approach your Mairie and the DDE to renew your CU before it expires. There is no charge for doing this.

Good Luck

Angie

I'd agree totally with the other replies, but would add that you need to act quickly about renewing your CU if it runs out in November. I think this has to be done some 6-8 weeks before expiry, if you miss the deadline you could have to start over again.

The problem is that there's no guarantee that the CU will be renewed if a POS has been put in place or modified since your CU was issued or even if for some reason that section cadastral is no longer buildable on. The only way to be completely sure is to get planning permission for the work you want to do using the CU you have. This will give you up to 3 years of breathing space before you have to start work. You can always modify the plans later if necessary.

If you haven't already done so, apply for permission to install an autonomous waste water treatment system (demande d'assainissement) as if you don't get this your planning permission will be refused. Obviously this doesn't apply if you have mains sewage close by.

Ben Symons
www.idealfrance.com

The POS is the Plan d'Occupation des Sols - it's a document that defines where can or cannot be developped in a given commune and also contains the guidelines for the architectural styles that must be adhered to.

Not all communes have one - yet - in which case there is generally a PLU (plan local d'urbanisme) which is pretty vague. At least with a POS everything is clearly laid out and that there's no ambiguity.

Ben Symons
http://www.idealfrance.com