Help please - dog nervous travelling in car.

Limousin Lass

Our year old dog gets himself into a right state when we have to take him in the car.  He will quite happily jump into the back but as soon as the car starts to move he starts shaking, panting and dribbling.  He has been like this since we got him as a pup and we have tried taking for very short runs (just down our drive) and to our local park to play (only a short distance), also put his bed in the car, but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

Has anyone else had this problem and overcome it and if so any suggestions that we can try to help him.

Thanks

Sylvia

I think people are reluctant to answer you because all dogs are different and what works for one will not always work for another.

Our old dog was like this and to start with required my wife sit in the back with him during the journey and just talked to him. On very long journeys, say 4 or 5 hours we did give him a sedative as prescribed by our vet. After a while he got use to it and at times would jump in the car and not get out till I drove him round the block. Whats he like with fireworks, mine did the same thing?

Believe me I know whats it's like and hope my idea works for you.

Thank you for the reply Quillan,  I have tried the sitting in the back with him a couple of times but ended up getting soaking wet from his dribbling (I am sure people must have thought I had wet myself[:$]), perhaps I should try it more often.

I have had dogs all my life (our other dog just curls up and goes to sleep, or looks out of the back window) but have not come across this before.  I hate taking any medication myself unless I have to and am reluctant to go down the vet/sedative route until I have tried everything,  that is why I posted on this forum in the hope that the very knowledgeable dog owners (that I know are out there from being a regular reader of this forum) could come up with some suggestions that I hadn't tried.  Don't know what he is like with fireworks as it is not something we have come across but we regularly have the chasse in the woods surrounding us and the sound of gunfire doesn't bother him.

Sylvia

Basically we started doing short trips with my wife in the back with a old blanket over her lap for the dribbling. Every time you take the car out on a short trip take the dog, take the car, take the dog, it's the only way. A couple of times just won't do it, it could take months for the dog to get settled, it just depends.

I agree with not taking the tables but reluctantly sometimes you just don't have a choice and it's best for the animal.

Good Luck.

Thanks again Quillan for taking the time to reply.Well my husband always says I am a back seat driver (lol) so it looks as though I am going to have to be more patient and sit in the back with him every time we go out somewhere, now that the weather is cooler (not that we have had a brilliant hot summer).

Sylvia

My daughter swears by Bach Flower Essences-Rescue Remedy.A few drops before travelling,firework night,trips to vet etc. Infact anything that makes them nervous-good for humans too!

Don't know if you can buy it in France,may-be order it from England?(look on Google)

Worth a try may-be?