Permis de Construire

Lizfjr

I am back in the UK and working through my Permis de construire application. This is for some simple changes to the house I have bought. There is a question on the form which asks if I have a Certificat D'urbanisme. Please can someone tell me what is a Certificat D'urbanisme and how do I find out if there is one?

Thanks

Liz 

A Certificat d'Urbanisme (CU) is a bit like outline planning permission,it is the permit to use a building as a dwelling. All houses have one, but one is normally only aware of this when converting a barn etc. into a house, when the first step is to apply for a CU. In your case, where you are just applying for permission to make a few changes to an existing house you do not need to produce a CU.

I would modify John and Angie's answer slightly, and define it as a certificate issued by the local authority describing the the planning and building requirements which any development on the site must meet.

In our authority, a small township in the south, a 'certificate of viability' is also issued for land which has been authorised for housing development once services to the site have been installed, water, sewerage, electricity, etc.