Incubator Humidity

Limousin Lass

I have just bought a second hand Maino ME3A incubator and trying it out on a few eggs. I have the temperature OK at 37.7 as per instructions but using the water dish provided I cannot get the humidity above 20% - instructions are 40-45%. for 18 days.

1. Any ideas how to get the humidity to correct level.

2. Where should the Hygrometer be positioned, the instructions don't say.

3. If I need a new Hygrometer any ideas where to buy one.

Hope someone can help as I would love to start hatching my own chicks.

Try a replacement hydrometer, 20 % doesnt sound right.  Even in dry heated rrom (electric heater) you should see more than 20%.  Try Bricolage type places for a replacement, or even a Agricultural outlet.  I've never used a incubator (I've always used a broody, they tend to know what they are doing !), but I would think you should leave the thing running for several days before introducing the eggs.  Also, I read that auto turning ones are much prefereable - is yours this type ?  If not mark the eggs with a x and a o so you know which way up they should be at any one time.  Place it in a shady place that doesnt experience big temp flucuations over the day / night.  Let us know how you get on.

Thank you for you replies. 

I have put a couple of small damp sponges in the incubator as well as the water dish and that has brought the humidity up to about 35%.  I have to go out today so will have a look in the local Agri Merchant for a new hygrometer.  I do have the Ducatillon catalogue but hoped someone might know where I would get one locally, if I can't get one today I will probably order from them.