operation

valB

My lovely  13 year old Cocker Spaniel lady is having a big operation on Thursday as she has Tumors and one is blocking her ear. I am so worried as she has to have a general anesthetic and her age is a problem.  I know you will all be thinking of her and I will let you all know how she fares.

valB, sure I'll be thinking of her and of you.  We, too, have a cocker spaniel lady but she is only 5 and still full of mischief.

I am sure your little dog is very special and I hope and trust that all will be well.

We had our old boy Bambou, rescued from Angoulême, castrated on Saturday (probably by the same vet).  We weren't going to have him done routinely at his age and as he is with spayed females.  But lately one side was very swollen and, as several dogs from Angoulême have had tumours there, we thought it better to have him done.

Bambou is thirteen or fourteen years old.

Here he is on Friday evening before the operation

[IMG]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a363/Bechamel/BambouJuin.jpg[/IMG]     [IMG]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a363/Bechamel/BambouJuin1.jpg[/IMG]

and on Saturday evening after the operation

[IMG]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a363/Bechamel/BambouCastration.jpg[/IMG]          [IMG]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a363/Bechamel/BambouCastration1.jpg[/IMG]

Of course it's not the same operation and not the same dog, but I hope it can reassure you a little Val.  We always worry about them and I hope all will be fine for your little girl.

Thank you all for your replies and it is reasuring to know that other elderly animls have problems as well. We have had numerous rescue dogs over the years but I can honestly say she has been the best dog we have ever had. Age is so cruel as she is almost blind, arthritic and partially deaf but she still runs around the garden wagging her little tail.  She is top dog where our French rescue Labrador is concerned and he loves her but will always back off when she tells him to.

Thank you Panda, that has helped me a lot. The vet did not want to give her a general and originally thought a local would be OK but he now has changed his mind. He is a superb vet and she was gravely ill a couple of years ago and was in his surgery for five days and he even called in to check her every day he was on holiday. Also, Thank you Ysatis...If you are who I think you are, you have known her for many years both in UK and here in France.

Just to let you know we have just collected a very wobbly little girl from the vets. She is feeling very sorry for herself and has her long floppy ears taped to the top of her head and a small collar on as well. Lots of antibiotics and instructions as what not to do and what to do from the vet. If everything goes OK she has the stitches out in ten days time. I was so worried this morning I weeded all my strawberries to keep occupied now I ache like mad.

Thank you all for your kind words. She has just wobbled into the garden to have a tinkle and has had a slight nibble at her dinner although we did not expect her to be that bothered but the vet said to try her with some. I now have to get try her with some tablets but if past experience is anything to go on, I will probably have to crush them, mix in a little water and syringe down her throat as she is a b***er for taking tablets, she just spits them straight out again. Even the vet could not get her to swollow them and he had a gadget he used as well. Once again...Thank you all for your support.

Hi ValB

Glad to hear shes back and well..... [:D] I must say when reading your last reply I thought you said I was so worried I weed on my strawberries[:-))]

Make sure she gets a extra cuddle from us all on here ....that should keep you busy for a while ........[kiss] 

If you could see the distance I have to walk to get from veggies to the loo, Christine, who could blame me. I have been trying to tinkle in my compost container like the French men do but it is too tall and I am scared of falling in it. I could be there for weeks before  OH misses me.