Transporting mice

DZ

I searched the forum in vain for a discussion thread on transporting mice to France - the only mention of those lovely creatures I find is in the context of them being chased by cats and dogs etc.  Has anyone got any experience of taking pet mice to France?  I contacted DEFRA and seemingly there is no restrictions on such export, but according to the website of the French consulate mice need a health certificate (translated into French by a certified translator) and another bit of paper confirming that they have been in the UK for the past 21 days.  What next - mice passport photographs? 

If you have taken mice to France, I would be delighted to hear of your experience.

Not Mice but 2 Rats and 5 years ago, however  we got forms from Defra and a vets certificate stating good health and a breef discription of apperance!! It was not translated into French but it was pretty obvious. We went via the tunnel and had no problems, but were told by Defra if we wanted to bring them back it could be difficult, problem didn't arise  as we didn't go back. There is a Fancy Rat and Mouse association they send Mice and Rats of the pedigree type and of course travel for competitions etc or at least they used to it may be worth hunting down an association in England and see what the do.

Good Luck

Thank you, Lilly. 

Our local vets referred us to DEFRA and their Helpline clearly explained that tranfer of mice between EU states was free and we only needed to check whether it was ok with the transport carrier, so I think I will leave it at that and hope for the best!

You will have to declare them with your channel crossing co.  The tunnel is best for this IMO.  They will most likely just look at them through the car window (no big deal) and the crossing is quick and you stay with your charges.  But you MUST declare them and of course you must be able to demonstrate that they have confortable arrangemenmts for traveling with water and food should you be asked by some do goody jobs worth (not a problem I imagine !!).  If there is some sort of issue that arises re restricting animal movements then you will not be able to cross the Channel with them - no argument.  This could spoil your day - but on the bright side there's plenty of mice in France !  If you want some give us a call.  I was drowning about 10 a week a couple of month ago !  The traps have quietened down recently in the Chicken and Turkey houses, but the rabbits seem to have a few friends I need to sort out ....