Whats happening with the new dog laws?

nickinorthez

The supposed new dog law concerning category 1 and 2 dogs is a shambles and leaves owners not knowing what the hell is going on. Apparently some draft legislation went through the Senate but I cant find anywhere on the internet which confirms if this has cleared the National Assembly.

There are many new rules but the area concerning proficiency tests is very confusing and they're not even sure who will carry the tests out, where the traning will be conducted, vets are not keen on doing these and so the whole thing is descending into chaos!

On top of this one does wonder why German Shepherds are not included in the Category 2 section, the dog that statistically has injured and killed more people than any other dog over the last 20 years in France is excluded from any legislation! We have 2 rottweilers who are now totally vilified by all and sundry, just the mention of the name sends many into hysteria!

We have registered the dogs with the local mayors office, provided pedigree certificates, confirmation of third party insurance and they havent said anything about proficiency tests and they seem to be in the dark aswell. Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

• 2 months later...

Further to my original post apparently the new law has been passed but confusingly from what I've read this needs an implementing decree! I get the feeling that this will be another of those laws that most people will ignore and makes me feel now that I've opened a can of worms by asking the lady at the Marie who seemed to be completely in the dark I told her about the two new things needed the permis de detention and certificate d'aptitude, I wish I just kept quiet now. Its very frustrating because the new law has some quite frightening penalties and lots of powers to the prefecture and mayor but no one seems to know who will carry out the aptitude tests which include dog handling.

Isn't it upto the local Marie who has my details as I registered the dogs with them to contact me and inform me and everyone else in the community or am I going to be the idiot Brit who has gone to all this trouble to be within the law when everyone else will just ignore the whole thing and just laugh similarly as they do when the Brits get a declaration de travaux! thats a running joke the only people who get these are the Brits!!!

• 2 weeks later...
This all sounds depressingly similar to the situation here in Spain. We have a Staffordshire Bull Terrier which is classified as a "Potentially Dangerous Dog" and as such the latest Spanish law requires (as far as I am able to ascertain!) that he is muzzled and on a short lead when outside the home and restrained when in the car. I had to take a medical exam in order to obtain a licence to own the dog; it is not clear whether my wife can be licenced for the same dog. There is also the requirement for 3rd party insurance and, if I wanted to buy the dog now (we brought ours from England) he and I would have to go through an approved training regime, though nobody knows where.

This much I have been able to establish with assistance from a lady in the "Foreigners Department" at our local town hall, but only after she had visited another administration in a larger town nearby to get copies of the relevant documentation. However the department in our town hall responsible for issuing the licence have yet to do so, some 5 weeks after my application was submitted.

I have spent the past nine months trying to get to the bottom of the laws in order to comply with them, as a good citizen should(!!), but nobody else seems to give a hoot, and we have seen Staffies frolicking unleashed in the centre of major cities, unmuzzled and without a care in the world.

The point of my posting is that we are considering relocating to France. Are the new laws there as draconian?

[quote user="nickinorthez"]

Further to my original post apparently the new law has been passed but confusingly from what I've read this needs an implementing decree! [/quote]

That's what it looks like.

http://rackaila4pattes.forumscompany.com/les-lois-en-vigueur-et-quelques-conseils-f4/delai-pour-les-proprietaires-de-chiens-categorises-pour-se-mettre-en-t1231.htm