Rabies Jab and all other jabs

rockstitch

I have had my dog blood tested in the UK for Rabies and kept up with his booster every 2 years since, last lear when we moved to France I had his Rabies Booster given to him, along with all the other boosters. Do I have to have it done anually here in France or can I leave it for the 2 Years that DEFRA UK require, I might be taking my dog back to the UK in August this year and it will be 1 year this month since he had his booster done.

I enquired about this when I brought Ollie and Utopie back to France a couple of years ago.  They both had passports showing a date about 2 years hence and according to DEFRA the date on the passport is the date that will be accepted - however, in France it is a legal requirement that the rabies jab is given every year and so if they are going to remain in France after their latest jab is a year old you should have an annual booster done.  I would suggest, if it is not too late, that you be absolutely sure and have the booster done before  it would expire if it had been a French passport.

Sorry, I had thought that you meant that it would be one year this month since his last booster which would have made it OK for the French resident dogs' requirements and also for the passport.   I would guess (but it is only a guess) that so long as you have the booster done here before the expiry date of the current one, you will be OK, except of course for the French requirement.  If your vet is willing to complete the passport 'valid to' date then all should be well.  I have copied and pasted the reply which I received from DEFRA when I emailed them with pretty much the same question to yours.  You could copy and print the DEFRA reply to show your vet if he is unsure.  Hope this helps.

Dear Anne

Further to our telephone conversation of today and your subsequent email

received today.

I can

confirm for pets to be eligible for the Pet Travel Scheme (PETS) they

must have

a valid rabies vaccination. Booster vaccinations are given as per the

manufacturers data sheet provided with the vaccine. This can be between 1

to 3

years depending on the vaccine administered.  Booster vaccinations are

valid for entry to the UK and other EU countries from the date given

provided

they are given on time (according to the instructions in the vaccine

manufacturer’s data sheet where the previous vaccination was given). Please

note

that it is the "valid until" date written in the passport which

is taken into account when travelling under the Pet Travel Scheme

If

the revaccination date is missed the pet will not meet the conditions of

the

scheme and will have to be vaccinated and, for entry to the UK, blood

tested

again. The 6 month rule will then apply from the date the new blood

sample is

taken assuming the blood test result is satisfactory. If your pet always

has

the booster on time, it will not need a further

blood test, or be subject to a

further 6 months wait, provided your pet does not enter an unlisted

country.

Please

note,  in some EU countries annual rabies vaccinations are required if

a pet is resident in that country, but it is the "valid until date"

in the passport that is taken into account when travelling under

PETS.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/pets/procedures/support-info/vacci.htm

I hope this has answered your question. Should you require further

information

you may wish to:

· Check our website www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/index.htm

· Or contact The PETS Helpline on 0870 2411710

· Or send an e-mail to [email protected]

Ooooooops, [:$] [:$]reading the post following this, it would seem that I am talking through my hat and that a rabies jab is not a legal requirement in France.  I was told back in 2001 by an  import agent when I imported a dog that it was a requirement and I have just assumed that they were correct.  Really sorry for talking such guff though I hope that the email from Carole in DEFRA is useful.[:$]

Hi Anne,(Megan le Fev),

I have been to the vets and had the Rabies booster done plus all the other jabs he would get normally every year, the vet said that I could take the dog back to the UK whenever I wanted as his booster is good for another year, in France it has to be done every year to be valid, she also said she would send me a reminder next year to have it done before the date due. It cost me 49euros for his rabies jab and his annual jabs, so I am well happy now, I didn't have to show the vet the letter from Defra. Thanks again for you help.

Sue