Can a cat be allergice to injections?

Llantony

We took our kitten for his first injection. Next day he was holding up his right paw, seemed very hot and unwell, not eating or drinking, just sleeping. Back to vet, who agreed maybe our big cat had bitten the kitten. Injection for fever, and 1 for anti biotics. Next evening the kitten was so unwell we feared he'd die, could hardly stand and held up his left paw, slept all the time, crying out in pain occasionally. We suddently wondered if the injection was the cause. The 2nd one was on his left side where he seemed to be hurting. So we did not return to the vet. Kitten is now much better, but still wobbly and very sleepy - he was incredibly lively before.

He was rescued from the village bins where he was with 4 dead siblings. I bottle fed him and was so pleased he survived.

Any thoughts?

One of our three cats is allergic to the carrier fluid in which most vaccinations are administered.  We only found this out after he had very bad reactions to his third annual rabies jab and then a few weeks later to his routine vaccinations.  He had a mild reaction to the first rabies jab but then his reaction was increasingly severe so now he has nothing - on the vet's advice - and his file is plastered with warning stickers as we nearly lost him on the last occasion.  It means he will never be able to go to the UK but he is an old cat who mostly stays inside; we have no plans to return so we just hope he lives out his life happily here.  It would certainly be worthwhile raising the subject with your vet as if it is an allergy, these reactions tend to get worse each time. I think it is possible to give an injection ahead of the main one to lessen the side effects but I don't know if that is for vaccinations in general or for some specific ones.  Our cat has had antibiotic injections recently with no problems - it is the vaccines which seem to cause the reactions.  Anyway I hope your little chap recovers completely - he certainly sounds as if he is a real survivor!

Val