Contract Farming - does it exist in France?

We have a small farm in the Vente area (86) close to Montmorillon.  Although we farm in the UK we don't have the equipment to crop our own land in France - approximately 25 acres.  We would very much like to find the same kind of 'agricultural contractors' that exist in the UK i.e. find a firm/person who will come onto our land and run  the job from start to finish including the sale of the crop.  Does anyone know if these exist in France and if so how do we contact anyone ?

Hi

Yes - you can certainly hire contractors for various if not all machinery work around your farm - we are not local enough to you to provide names but check out your local agricultural machinery sales place, Coop Agricole, Alliance Pastoral as they all have various ads for this type of thing around our way - I suspect the pages jaune do to but have never actually looked. Better still ask a few of your own farmer neighbours - if they dont facy earning a bit extra they may be able to recommend a good local subcontractor for you.

Good luck

Mike

I have not come across anyone contracting out all work including sales in France; it is not done in my area (24/87/19). As stated above any work can be carried out and paid for, there are plenty of contractors who do for example plough, cultivate, sow, spray weedkiller and harvest; you pay for each operation.