Search for a school

Archroy

Could somebody please help us in our search for good school for our fourteen year old son. He is extremely intelligent and speaks basic French, but at his age the change from an English to french school is a huge leap. If anybody out there would like to share their own similar experiences, or recommend a sympathetic school it would be greatly appreciated.

We are searching for a home in Charente, but, obviously, our choice of home will be determined by the location of a good school.

Regards,

Steve

Hi Jongleuse here

Can't really help with a good school as there are no league tables here. We have been advised that private school here (Charente) is a good bet for English children, although we use the public school system.

We have 3 colleges (secondary schools) in our nearby town and whilst everyone agrees that the one at the "older" end of town is the worst, there are mixed feelings about the other two as to which is better. The catchment area you are in determines which college you go to, although in our town you can usually get a place at one of the other colleges if you apply early enough!!

Our eldest is moving up to college in September and has just had his visit to college this week, with us going along in the afternoon to have a nose and meet the principal. What we found reassuring is that they evaluate the new children in Maths and French and if necessary the kids get extra tuition. When I ventured to tell the principal she had another English child in the school (the first, last year is fluent in French)and I was worried that he would need extra coaching, I was told don't panic, it would be sorted!! Obviously time will tell!!

You may well find that your child is kept down a year. Our eldest was kept in primary for the last year (although he would have been in the last year of primary in UK anyway, so we were pleased). This has been a great benefit.

Another thing is that although it depends to some degree on each class's timetable, the basic schools hours here are 8 until 12 with a 15 min break and 2 hours for lunch, then 2 until 5pm, with another 15 min break. Wednesday morning is worked at secondary school here 8 until 12, although not at primary!!

Good hunting. Best to make some appointments at colleges to ask how they will deal with your child, look around and then hunt for houses when you have found a college you like the sound and look of!!

Regards
Jongleuse

Hi Steve
We too are looking in the Charente area and have the same worry - we have a 14yr old son and an 8yr old son to consider. Our biggest worry is that our move to France does not screw up the 14yr olds opportunities as far as education is concerned. He speaks very basic French having studied it for 3 yrs at school and is happy to learn and happy to move to France. Looks at it as one big adventure thank God. It seems so complicated and difficult to decide which area to land in as far as schools are concerned - no league tables so you would have to visit each school and decide on the info given and your own gut feelings as to whether it would be the right school for them. All takes lots of time, lots of trips and of course time is of the essence. We ould like to be moved and probably renting initially by September before our son Tom has to go back to school and start his GCSE courses. Never seems to be the right time to do all this as now of course all the French schools are shutting down for the summer and we can't get out there to look at the schools until August sometime when they will all be closed. We would prefer Tom to go to a French state school but are not sure if this is best and maybe should consider private schools for at least couple of years? Who knows what to do for the best eh! Steve, my husband and I are sure that we want to make the move this year or we think that we would be obliged to stay in UK at least until he has finished his GCSE's and then of course he will be 16 and probably not very intd in following us to France by then. Dont want to split the family up so its now or wait another 10 years!
I would be very interested in exchanging info on our progress and any info that I can find about schools in the area I will gladly pass onto you.