Moving to the Vendee - help??

Kimmy

Hi,

We are planning to move to the area around St Gilles Croix de Vie in the Vendee with our two daughters, Rebecca (13) and Ellie (11) early in 2004.

Is there any body out there who has moved to the same area with whom we could exchange email about such things as education and schooling, social life, opinion on best area to live...pretty much everything really!

The girls' schooling is the main priority so we would be especially happy to hear anything about the local schools and school life.

Thanks,

Nigel & Kim

Kimmy,

We too are in much the same boat. I have a son of fourteen, and a daughter of eight. I'll be looking at properties in about three weeks around the Vendee and surrounding areas. I've been searching the net and this site for info, but there's nothing like first hand experiences. Schooling for my son is the biggest factor. I'm interested in Parthenay, where they have a few schools with international sections. Have you looked at any schools yet?

Regards

Steve

Hi
I have been speaking with Steve who has answered your message also. We are all looking in the same area and again it is the school situation that concerns us all. Having spoken to lots of agents now and checked out lots of website I have found the following. All Intl Schools ie fee paying and teaching IGCSE/AS/A levels and Intl Bacc are based around the major cities. These are mainly in South of France in Bordeaux, Toulouse, Aix En Provence and Nr Cannes. Their fees are about 7000 per year from 14 yrs old on. I have website addresses for all of these if you are intd. I have spoken to lots of agents in Charente areas and surrounding only to find that they do not know of any Intl schools other than those I mentioned and some in Paris. Some schools have Intl Sections but they only seem to teach History and Geography in English and rest of syllabus is in French. The children will therefore have to be very fluent in both written and spoekn French in order to take their exams in French for most subjects.
Interestingly, I spoke to a 20yr old English girl last week who is working for one of the big agents. She went straight to a French school at 14yr old. Her French was not good enough to sit exams in French so she left with no qualifications. Her French was good enough to get her shop work and work in hotels. She now works for Estate Agent nad is quite happy. Great if your kid does not want to go onto further education but otherwise......who knows. We have decided that we must not affect our sons education to that degree and have decided to look at South France and at these 4 Intl Schools to place him in one of those and the family in the local area.
Hope of help
Hilary