School for a 16yr old?

JackieB

We are moving to Riberac after our daughter has taken her GCSEs in the summer. Probably not the best time to start school in France, but we think she would benefit from repeating a year to learn the language and to make new friends. Are we being naive or could it work? She's easy going and quite prepared to try even if she gets things wrong.
I forgot to say she dropped french in yr10 to concentrate on German - a bit unfortunate.
Has anyone taken a teen across the channel at this age and could offer any advice?
Thanks
Jackie

LAST EDITED ON 14-Dec-02 AT 10:56 AM (GMT)

I don't want to sound pessimistic, but 16 is probably far too old to expect integration in the French education system to a level which would enable taking of French exams etc. In this case it would be better to consider either a private english school (but there are few in France) or boarding school back in the UK. See other posts here. In our international organisation, which includes many Brits and other Europeans coming to France, 9/10 is considered about the limit for integration, but it does depend on ability etc. Studies show that from around 7/8 the method of language learning changes to that of an adult and becomes signifciantly more difficult.

It is also important to understand that acheiving a level of fluency in a language is not the same as aquiring enough to complete a full education in the language.

best regards

Richard

Another thing for you to consider is what happens at the end of secondary education. The French university experience is very different from the UK experience. There is very little student support, student unions are unknown and development of understanding is sacrificed for rote learning. There is a growing trend for people in France (and especially Germany) to send their children to British universities because - in spite of the problems created by the enforced expansion of the system over the last decade - it is still more humane than the home system.

Lyce is hard enough for the local kids let alone an english student with no previous french education background. I think you should think this out very carefully as you may be doing damage to your daughter's future. My son will be joining his older sister at Lyce next year and is already having to decide what he wants to do as a profession as regards the type of Lyce and course he will have to do.

Jackie:

Maybe there is a bit of a middle ground here. Check around the area you are moving to and see if there are any "sous" contract Catholic schools. These are schools which are private in the sense that they do not have to take anyone if they do not wish to but are subsidized by the government. One pays a small amount of tuition. They tend to be smaller and may be more willing to work with your child. They are also more flexible in the classes they put a child in. Also look for a school that has the option of taking an European Bac. In this program there is a focus on the ability to study certain classes in English or another language other than French.

If the decision has been made then you must start to explore all the possibilities open to you within the French system. It sounds like you have a good relationship with your child and your support will go far in helping her to adjust. I wish you all the best.

Michal Cline

Hi there,
our eldest daughter was 16 when she started at school here last year, and she hasn't looked back. We have just had her report and she is currently third in her class. Her marks and the comments from her teachers are fantastic and we are so happy for her. She only had a C grade GCSE when we arrived but managed to get into a school that offered the European option which has helped. In fact she is doing better marks wise than our younger two (who are aged 16 and 14 now). She is in 1 eme this year so age wise had to go back a year, but she looked upon that as taking a gap year at 16 instead of 18, and is so glad she did. She is now starting to look at university courses (she is keen on economics/politics) and feels the courses offered here offer more options than those in the UK, especially with all the uncertainty over higher education in England at the moment. It is never easy moving with teenagers, and they are all so different, but if she is keen then you have won half the battle.

If you have seen any of my threads you will see I am wrestling with whether to live in france from next summer.

We have visited the local lycee as well, but Rebecca is only in year 10 and will not take GCSE till 2004, to make it 'worse' she has been predicted 3 A*s at best and a C in Maths the worst. I am loath to take her out before she sits GCSE. But then if we wait that would put her behind agewise for Bac, and if she wanted to return to UK for Uni after 3 years, she would not then qualify for the student loan and we would then have to support her fully!!

It really is a dilemma but she wants to live in France to get fluent.

Elaine

• 9 months later...
Just an update. Charlie has started at the Lycee in Riberac. A few 'Kevin' moments to begin with, but she has made friends and has settled in better than we ever expected. The headmistress has warned us there is resentment amongst some of the teachers because the Brits have pushed up house prices, thus pricing locals out of the market. Charlotte had already identified these unhelpful teachers. She doesn't take it personally.
She will repeat a year next year rather than this, and Charlie is happy with this. For now, things are looking positive.
Jackie