Relocating Children

jasonclarke

We are moving to Maine et Loire in the New Year with our 3 yr old daughter who will be attending the village ecole maternelle. The three teachers and the Mayor all spent about an hour with me last time I visited to show me the school facilities which were excellent. I have no doubt that the school will be good for our daughter and she will bed in well quite quickly. A big advantage over our private nursery system in UK is that it is free.(although I'm sure we will be taxed heavily to pay for it) What I would like to know from anyone who has already made the move is how they have found their children to be accepted in out of school activities. Are they naturally included as children make friends so easily or have parents found it a struggle to get them involved. I know all circumstances are different as is each child but any general thoughts would be welcome.

Jason

My children came here 3 years ago, aged 4 and 6 and settled in very easily at school. They also both started activities out of school, swimming, football, judo and gymnastics. All these activities are completely independant from school, often run by associations. You can ask the other parents what their children do and the local Mairie often has a list of associations in the area. There was no problem in them being accepted with the other children, although their lack of understanding of French was a problem to start with, but they learnt very quickly and they could always copy the other children.

One problem you may have is the age of your daughter as I found that a lot of activities started from aged 6.

Good luck with your move.

Jenny