Extra Help in Schools

Lollie

We moved to France April last year, my younger two went into CM1 and CM2 at a public school and my eldest into 5eme in a college public. The younger two receive help on a one to one basis for two hours each week with a teacher from the education dept who travels around the various schools helping non french speaking students in their schooling. As I did not understand why the college did not have the same system I looked further into what the dept was. Apparently CAREP is national so any children moving here and needing additional help may benefit from this as long as the schools are willing to participate; Although this is the website for Dept 44 there are other areas if you do a google search. Out of interest how are other children on this forum getting help in schools. Carep is only available in ecole public.

http://www.ac-nantes.fr/peda/ress/educprio/carep.htm

Lorraine (44)

After one term my son, 8, was offered an hour 4 times a week of individual help. I've found a lovely retired primary school teacher who will give him extra help with his homework, on a private basis. With me, it takes 3 hours to learn his spellings and read his text book. We dont manage to do all his homework.

The school have been very supportive, and organise twice termly meetings with me to discuss his progress.
He is still struggling, and will most probably redouble CE2.
My daughter, 10, wasnt offered any help and is managing very well.

In my experience, the school responded well to the kids different needs. But only now after 9 months here, are they happy to have extra classes.

Best wishes,
MaggieMay