Anxious 6yr old

Gwenhwyfar

We are moving to Northern Brittany by the end of this year with our 6yr old and 2yr old. My older little girl is very sensitive and she is anxious about going to school in France and not knowing the language. I don't speak French yet and my husband is learning.

Does anyone have any reassuring stories for me/her. Also she is Welsh speaking - how widely is Breton used in the schools? I think someone told me before that some of the schools taught through the Breton language?

Thanks - hope someone can help

It is a brilliant age to start a french school and although the first couple of days will be a bit fraught for her,she will settle down very very quickly and be speaking a fair bit of french by the end of the first couple of weeks, believe you me!
If you wish to send her to a Breton speaking school, they are called Diwan schools and are private and are spread out all over the place. You don't say where you are moving to so I cannot tell you if there is one located in your vicinity. Don't forget to get your child's immunisations upto date for the school rentre as this is now required.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi there,
My two children go to the local school in Plestin. They have been there for just over a year and my eldest (6) is more-or-less fluent. The younger one (5)loves school, but is less keen to speak French when there. He chatters away with his sister and his friends though! I think perhaps he just needs abit more time. When they both started school I was incredibly anxious, but to my relief they both are very happy to go and we haven't had any tears about school at all. They are in the monolingual class as we thought that it was sufficient for them to learn French, but as they seem to be absorbing the language like a sponge I wonder whether by now they would be fluent in Breton too. The staff at the school have been brilliant and very supportive of my children and me and my partner. I'm sure that your daughter will be fine with whatever you choose and make friends without any problems. Hope this helps.
Regards
Ruth