Discovery Week/Week away

cossie

Hi

Does anybody have any experience or knowledge of Discovery week in France where the children go away for a week with the school?

Mine are due to go away next month, they are 5 and 7 and have never been away from home before.  Whilst we keep telling ourselves it will be a great experience for them we are obviously still concerned about it - will they settle, will they be upset, what happens if they are?

If anyone can shed any light from experience that would be great.  Also are the staff here put through the equivalent of the CRB in the UK?  If they are parent helpers how do you know if everything is in order with them?  Don't wish to sound paranoid but obviously their safety is paramount to us.

We have a meeting at school on Tues so maybe we will get some answers there but in the meantime any help would be great.

Hi Cossie

I have never experienced it here in France and our son has been in school for nearly 4 years.  I have always found the day trips to be well organised with lots of helpers but I must admit at 5 and 7 they seem a little young for such an undertaking, I don't think my son would want to go at that age and I know I, like you, would be more than a little anxious. 

I have 'helped' on the odd day trip and I think that if this kind of trip were offered to my son I would proabably try and get as involved as I could in the organisation if not actually go with them.  I always make sure I'm not minding my sons group when I've been on the day trips (don't want to cramp his style) but I just feel happier, perhaps I'm being over protective?

Let us know how the meeting goes.

My eldest went away when he was 6. As far as I can remember everything was OK and no distraught kids. AFAIK there aren't any checks done on accompanying parents.

My neighbours son went when he was 10 and there were 5 in the class, including him who were bed wetters, and that did surprise me.