Bilingual schools or schools with FLE system around Nimes??

yworry

Hello

We are looking at a move to the area of Nimes from Valbonne, Cote d'Azur. We have 2 daughters aged 10 & 14. My 10 year old is still at an age where she could go into a French school and after a few months will be able to cope. Have had alot of discussion with Anglo parents in this area about this. We have a very large Anglo population here. My 14 year old is a different matter though. Too old to expect to be thrown into a fully french school unless it has a F.L.E. class available. We have been looking at the International school in Aix-eu- provence which sounds very promising although quite a distance to travel each day. If anyone knows of any schools closer to Nimes that offer a F.L.E class or  a good bilingual system then I would appreciate some contact details. Thanks

Are they any schools that offer the OIB near by?

http://www.ciep.fr/oib/listetab.php

. Most schools offer help to foreign students for a period of time, otherwise organise a private course during the summer months?  Maybe online with cned.  My son arrived from the UK at 14 and last year passed his Bac S with a mention ab..So it is possible and the high co efficients for english in the OIB definitely help.

Lollie

Thankyou Lollie

It is encouraging to know your son coped at 14 with the transition. I truly believe it is down to the indvidual child and the teachers they get. You read some really awful stories about how some students are treated by teachers.What type of school did you put your son into when you got to France and did he know any french before arriving here? Thanks Kate

Two of my children were 14 or over when they started full time French schools (they did have some knowledge of French) and my friend's daughter was 14.  They are now all fully integrated.

So from my experience, you could consider a French school.

If your daughter starts in 4eme, she has a year to adjust to the new language before starting the Brevet in 3eme (this is the national exam taken at the end of the French equivalent of Year 10).  If she finds the 4eme challenging, she could 'redouble' it - take the year again.  As French children can redouble years, upper year classes are of mixed ages.  It is definitely not a good idea to start in 3eme - it is too high presssured a year.

After two years, by the time she takes her Brevet exams (as opposed to classwork), she will be able to speak and read in French.  Writing is harder to master.  My children had to take three exams for the Brevet (the rest of the marks were from classwork) - they found the maths and history/geography exams very manageable and it was only the French exam that was hard.

Your daughter would then have 3 years for the Bacc.  She will have the opportunity to do extra English (anglais renforcé), which gives her extra marks, which counts towards the final total.

There are a number of mothers on this Forum who have had bad experiences bringing their children into French schools.  I haven't.  They will warn you against it.  From my part, I have no regrets and am delighted that all my children are doing well.

Thanks Cathy

I have heard as many good stories as bad when it comes to intergrating children to education in France. I think alot comes down to luck with the teachers they get. It dosn't put me off, don't worry. My daughter would be going into 3eme though because of her age. She would already be one year behind where she was in NZ and if we put her back into 4eme then she will be 2 years behind. I am seriously looking at the International School in Aix-eu- Provence where they have a choice of doing these exams in the French system or the British system. I need to take a visit to the school and talk some more with the person in charge of the admissions. He has been very helpful so far and is English. I still want to research any other schools in the whole area.

• 1 month later...
Cathy, dare I say a lot also depends on the individual child. Certainly at 14 the risks are high if it does not work out as time is not on their side and therefore my personal view is that between the ages of 14 and 16, it is probably on balance best to avoid changing schools if possible for the sake of waiting a couple of years.

• 2 weeks later...