Re: School for 9&11 yr olds

simaddy

We live in Canada and are planning to live in the south of France (Marseille/Montpellier/Nice) for a year.  We have two daughters who will be 11 and 9 next fall (grade 6 and grade 4 in Canada).  What should we be considering?  Public vs private schools?   etc etc While my eldest daughter has had 2 years at a full-french school when she was 4 and 5, and has some grasp of french, I would say neither is fluent and since grade 1 have been taking french a a course in school.  I would welcome some comments and directions. 

Thanks

Sal

I would suggest if you are only going for a year you look at the English speaking international schools in the area, thereby creating less distruption when you return to Canada for your eldest daughter  as she starts the critical period of her secondary education.

Are you EU citizens and if not you you might want to investigate entitlement to public schooling if you are going to be in France as tourists, rather than on an immigration work visa. Canada applies strict immigration controls on EU citizens and these things tend to work on a recipricol basis between countries.

Also budget carefully as with the very strong euro, the South of France is mega expensive for those of us earning in $ or £. 

Thank you - we are looking at a few options as far as where to live in the south. Part of the decision will hinge on quality of schooling. Any thoughts on whether it matters much in deciding between Montpellier, Nimes, Arles, Aix-en-Provence Toulon or any other town in the South?