schools in La Gacilly, Brittany

KC

Hi

We are thinking about the possibility of buying a business in La Gacilly in Brittany. We have two children aged 9 and 7.

Does anyone know anything about the schools in/around La Gacilly or better still, recommend them? I have read many of the posts on here about french education - good and bad.

Many thanks in advance to all who may be able to advise.

Hi,

this is off post, but isn't a flippant comment and I hope that you won't take it as such - I would be much more concerned about the outcome of buying a business in La Gacilly than I would about the local schools for a 9 and 7 year old.

Steve

Steve

thanks for your response!!! Not taken as a flippant comment at all, to be honest with you when I said considering buying a business it was just that. We havent been over to see it yet, really I don't think we will. Anything we would do comes after considering our children. I have spent a long time searching through these forums - some people say kids fit into school fine - takes about six months - others say don't do it.

We have considered this carefully - I do not want to put my family through the stress of moving to a new country - I couldn't bear it if the children were miserable at school and couldnt't understand what was going on. Really think we should have made the move when they were babies - (which is what we did originally consider.)

I do however love France, but it will have to stay for now as holidays!

However, perhaps you could elaborate a bit further about your comment of the outcome of buying a business in La Gacilly - is it that awful?

kc

"However, perhaps you could elaborate a bit further about your comment of the outcome of buying a business in La Gacilly - is it that awful? "

The way I put it was very unfair to la Gacilly and possibly the business you are considering, but I wanted to be brief. La Gacilly is a pretty little town that owes its success in attracting tourists to the various Yves Rocher enterprises there as I'm sure you know. The street photographic display and the African figures there this summer are wonderful.

Of course, certain restaurants, bakers, artisans in the town do well, but I have lived about 30 minutes from La Gacilly for the past 11 years and its been very noticeable when I visit that most businesses change hands quite quickly. Of course this applies to most tourist towns and is not specific to La Gacilly, and of course the situation is similar in the UK - where I had a tourist associated business for 25 years.

The point that I should have made more clearly is that I believe that the chances are, after a period of adjustment, your young children would not have a problem with school in France (from our and other's experience), but that the effect of an unhappy business experience and possible return to the UK would be more devastating and it is this aspect that you should pay most attention to.

Of course I don't know that this latter would be the outcome and I know nothing of the business, your business experience or your resources so I may be out of order with such generalised advice.

Steve