Rayburn - oil - kerosene

Washy

Has anyone successfully installed an oil burning Rayburn in France? 

I have been given one that runs on Kerosene.  Having read the website Rayburns in France I find that Kerosene (28 second) in almost impossible to come by in France.

Does anyone have experience of this or are converters available for them to run on say domestic heating 'fioul' ?

Thanks

Washy

We were looking at buying an oil fired Aga in the UK to take out to France, but my contact at Aga tells me that the oil in France is too thick to be able to run an Aga (and as they are made by the same company, I presume Rayburns too). There is somebody testing new burners for a conversion kit but I gather this is still in testing mode and isn't available yet. So, if my contact is correct, your Rayburn won't work... sorry (but I'll be happy if somebody knows otherwise as its the cheapest form of running a range!).

Ewa

If it's of any interest, the solid fuel/woodburning Rayburns are one of Ebay's best buys.  As most people buying a Rayburn for use in the UK want an Gas or Oil fired one, the SF Rayburns don't fetch large sums.  We just bought a beauty for a little over £300!!  It's in great condition too.

Cheers

Sasha

Washy - it can be done, and quite simply too on most models of Rayburn (and Agas too). Sashabel, solid fuel ranges are particularly easy to convert.

If your Rayburn is of the pressure jet type (i.e. it needs an electricity supply and has a fan) it may well work on French oil as it is, it will just need to be adjusted and probably will need cleaning more frequently. This site tells you all about it. The site's owner visits France frequently so can deliver the necessary parts and advise on installation. http://www.tradcookers.com

Hi there Will and thanks, I knew I was not hitting my head against a brick wall.  I have just been on the site you mention where there is a wealth of information.  This site seems really helpful, whereas other people I have contacted just want to sell their own new or recon models.

I now know that some Rayburns will work on fioul which is 35 second or on Mazout which is 32 second.  I am contacting a friend in the UK to ask them to get in touch with DON Heating Products lTd, Somerset, tele: +44 (0) 1823 663181.  These people supply conversion items.  Rumor has it that due to new EU rule Kerosene will not be available in the UK for much longer so these conversion kits should become more readily available.

My firend in the UK by the way runs his car on recon chip fat so he is a pretty resourceful chap, he has already fitted us with a complete hot water system run on sun power (summer) and a back boiler that does not use a pump. So I think we are in safe and economical hands.

Thanks Will - I know the solid fuel/woodburning Rayburns are easy to convert to either gas or oil, but I want to keep mine as a woodburning one.  I don't have to rely on it for cooking as I have a modern cooker and hob already installed.  It's mainly for heating the kitchen in the winter and extra oven space when we have guests staying.

Sasha