registering a RHD camper

Le_Jars

I've asked this before when I lived in England, but now I'm here, it's all the more important!

I have a 1976 VW campervan, right hand drive that I want to keep and so register on French plates. Firstly, who do I approach? Has anyone else done this? Can I go pre-armed with any paperwork etc?

If I can't register it, is it possible to drive around as a GB plated vehicle forever? (don't want to upset the gendarmerie though)

Any help would be VERY gratefully received, thanks.

Dave.

See my comments on re-registering a car. The additonal things I think you'll need is the french equivalent of an MOT - a control technique as your vehicle is quite old and finding a receipt from when you bought it. I've seen CT stations in several places so I cannot imagine that being too difficult. The only other thing that may be a bit tricky is also obtaining a certificate of conformity. I got my info from a useful website http://riviera.angloinfo.com/information/1/motoregister.asp which has some very useful information about importing a car etc and has the contact details for VW in order to obtain a COC. If you have all the necessary documents the process to reregister should (and it probably varies enormously from dept to dept knowing the French) be relatively straightforward.