help on registering a uk caravan urgently required

Shamajac

Hi there

I have a 1996 2 berth uk caravan and would like to use it to tour around the rest of France but I understand to tow this van with our French car we need to go through some sort of process ie control technique etc etc. The main problem is, where do we start - I have already searched through the site but can find nothing concrete - just emails from successful caravan owners. We are in Brittany ie dept 22 at present. My French leaves a lot to be desired but I have successfully negotiated the carte de sejour(although we have not received ours because I mislaid the original reciept from the Marie who in turn refuse to hand it over without it - ie deadlock there,) and we now have a carte vitale between us - but as far as caravan rules and regs I have come to a dead halt - our insurance company telephoned the DRIRE office in Plerin who promptly told him there was no way we would be able to register because the door was on the wrong side - so before we start we have come up against a problem (I know this is not the case by the way) I have gained small bits of into but nothing concrete, I could use a translator but if the DRIRE do not know what the rules are, what chance has anyone else.

Any information would be gratefully received.

Maggi

I am sure that if you go to search and put in Caravan, there was someone there who kindly offered help in sorting out the problems of a British caravan and getting the certificate from DRIRE to allow it to be used legally with your French car.

Miki

Hi Maggie and welcome to the Forum. We registered our caravan 18 months ago and became the forum experts on the subject. The details are too long to post here but if you send your email details to our inbox we'll email you a copy of the 'how to do it' guide.
Best wishes

John and Angie Moore (17)