documents needed for trailer?

Fmn

Our ifor williams horse trailer is being towed over to France on the back of the Removals lorry. Thing is, I haven't got the sales invoice any longer - it was purchased about 4 years ago. I know I have to re-register it in France, but is it likely that I could give the Removals men a signed letter to confirm that we own the trailer and that would be sufficient to get it into France? After that presumably I could contact Ifor Williams and they would send me a copy invoice that I would need for the carte grise. Anyone any experience of this?

Fran

LAST EDITED ON 06-Jul-04 AT 12:31 PM (BST)

LAST EDITED ON 06-Jul-04 AT 12:30PM (BST)

We brought over our Ifor Williams power tip trailer 2 years ago, did not need any paperwork for it to be towed on the back of our car.
We phoned a very nice lady in France for certificate of conformity which was necessary for the carte grise. The chap at Ifor Williams in Wales, tel no 01490 412626, gave me the phone number to ring for this. If you give him the serial number he should be able to look up his records to give you a duplicate invoice. I needed a security number as well, but don't remember where this came from.
To get in touch with the agent in France Tel. No 03 214 700 60 they needed a copy of utility bill, copy of purchase invoice, and a cheque for 100 euros before they could issue the certificate, which arrived a few weeks later. The carte grise was no problem after that, just went to the Prefecture with the documents.
good luck, joan