UK Licence codes

Kiraude

I'm in the process of swapping my UK licence as the UK address is not in use and it would be easier to have a French one. I've just been informed that I should do it within a year of arriving (according to the Prefecture at Carcassonne) although I can continue driving on the UK one if I've a valid address in the UK.

So, happily prepared to get this done armed with all the necessary paperwork, photo's & photocopies I've found a few problems - anyone who has a 'new' DVLA licence with photocard, could you help me out.

What are the codes on the back? They DO NOT correspond to the French ones

It shows little pictures of various vehicles (and in one case a trailer), what are they all?

Apparently because I (under UK law) can drive a small goods vehicle - so Madame seems to think (I haven't taken any test except the normal driving one in the UK) I need a medical for the French equivalent (to be redone every 5 years). Any opinions on this?

The best of it was, having filled out all the forms, including the medical I handed it all into her after lunch. She gave me a form about the medical and I asked (as something was mentioned about glasses) if it was necessary to bring them and would I have an eye test .... OHHHHH .. but your photo doesn't have you wearing glasses ... 'so?' I said .... 'well you'd better go and get more photo's with glasses on and bring all the paperwork back'

You can tell I've had a great morning!!!!!

Kira

LAST EDITED ON 23-Jul-04 AT 11:10 AM (BST)

I swopped a new "pink" UK one but even so the "letters" are apparently different. When I took mine to be done the lady said "do you want to tow a caravan"?!!! I said no definitely not, just a car. My licence came and only shows car and small van. We then took my Father's licence in to change (age 81), the (same) lady asked no questions and his has come showing him able to tow a caravan until next April (which is when his UK licence would have run out). Perhaps she thought men more likely to tow - but at 81 !!!!!

Tricia