Unusual car usage in France

Beefburg

I will soon be moving to my new apartment close to Chamonix. I will be commuting each week via Geneva airport living in France 3 days a week. I believe I will not be required to become a French citizen. My question concerns use of motor vehicles in France. I would like to leave a vehicle in Chamonix permenently for use at the weekend. Is it possible to leave an English-registered vehicle permenently in France without re-registering it (and perhaps return to England annually for MOT). What would be the situation as regards tax and insurance?

I actually intend to keep a car at Geneva airport (Switzerland) for the journey to/from Chamonix plus routine use in and around Chamonix, and also a motorcycle permanently in Chamonix. I guess the rules concerning each of these is different (as the car will be in and out of France weekly).

Any help would be very much appreciated.

A lot of people do something similar - just take a wander round the parking areas at the French ferry ports. However, the authorities do seem to be taking an interest, at least at Ouistreham, and untaxed UK-reg vehicles, particularly those which show no evidence of French insurance or controle technique (which would indicate that they are going through re-registration), are getting notices slapped on them and are subsequently towed away.

I would think, though I'm no expert, that as long as the vehicle remains road legal for UK use - i.e. taxed, insured, MoT, there should not be a problem. The major difficulty is likely to be insurance as most UK insurers will only offer cover for maximum periods of 90 days away from Britain, quoting EU law that says vehicles have to be insured in the country in which they are kept. French insurers will cover UK-plate vehicles, but only for the period until they are re-registered in France. However, some forum users say they have found UK insurers that will offer long-term overseas use.

Will (50)
Forum moderator